1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Hi everybody

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by chad, May 8, 2007.

1. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member

Hey guys, just wanted to take a minute to post the typical "Hello, my name is..." post. I have been reading home theater forums for many years. I was a mod at Home Theater Village, though it was quite short lived. I post from time to time at Home Theater Forum and AVS Forum and while I read Home Theater Talk on a daily basis, I never posted... not sure why. I was very sad to see it go but greatful to CJ for opening this joint.

I am in the process of building my first dedicated home theater room with existing gear including a Z3 projector, 119" High power screen, HD A2 player and Onkyo / JBL sound. First on the upgrade list is my sub, its a JBL and while it does ok, I would like another SVs, yeah, another one... I said I have been around a while. I had a 25-31 ( was that the right model name?) back in the day when they first started "rolling" out.

Well, I am looking forward to finally talking with you. Sorry I waited so long!

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Welcome!

3. chad

Thanks!

4. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Glad to see you join us this time around. Keep us posted on the HT adventure!

5. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus New Member

oh oh , first oppertunity to do it here: :D

if you want to upgrade your sub, build in an IB sub. I'm on my second one, and wont ever go back to a box sub if i can at all avoid it. ain' no better bass. period.

6. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

Hey! A new face! (or name, anyway) :wink: Welcome aboard, chadci!

7. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Yep, IB is excellent if you can do it! First you need to go drink the kool-aid over at the Cult of the Infinitely Baffled and find out what the rest of us have been enjoying for years.

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I'd love to go IB but I just don't want to cut a hole in the wall of my theater as all the bass will leak out into the garage destroying my nearly sound proof theater.

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Oops, welcome Chadci!

10. chad

Thanks guys. My name is Chad, but I use chadci for just about everything these days. I got tired of keeping track on what my name / password was.

Rich, I have thought about doing an IB sub. I have attic space above and garage space on the other side of my home theater room, so it should be a prime location. I would probably go the garage route though. My home theater room is actually the front room of the house. The house had an add on at some point so we use that room as the family room.

I have the front wall painted black. Gray carpet and the sides / back wall are gray with a 2' wide black stripe that goes around the room, 2' down from the ceiling. Inside of that black band I am going to put framed pictures of movie stars. The ceiling will be gray as well, I just have not gotten that far. The trim work will be black and I am putting molding on the top and bottom of the band, it will be red. Red couch, black drapes, black pillows etc. Because the movie room is the "front" room I had a coat closet. I took the door off, shelved it out and my gear / dvd storage is in there. I ran electrical and all of my speaker wires to the "closet.

It's a 7.1 audio system, but I have having some issues mounting the side speakers as the entry to the kitchen is where the left side speaker should be. My screen had to be larger than I really wanted because of my projector so the side speakers are actually wall mounted, but to the side walls. I want to get them on stands or just get floor standers.

The room is 13' wide ( leaving about 1.5' on either side of the screen) x 14' long. I would like to use the full 14' BUT the back of the couch is somewhat of a divider from the room and the walk way from the front door. I had to comprimise some things, but I have gotten used to 119' at 12' Even at 1080i / 720p I don't hardly ever see screen door.

I still have a lot of work to do but I am waiting for a cool day to get into the attic again!

Also, I am thinking about buying my first motorcycle. I am going to be going through a riding course. I am interested in a cruiser type bike, probably a Vulcan but I really like the Nomads. There are some Honda's and Suzuki's out there that I like as well, but, the Vulcan and Nomads just call my name in the same voice that most of my home theater gear has.

11. chad

Ron P. I am sure you don't remember me but we have spoken quite a bit along the way. I go by Chad Isaacs at HTF. I remember you for the first time about 5 years ago when my first wife and I split up, you always had something kind to say. I have enjoyed the many stages of "The Driftwood Theater" as well.

Guys, I almost feel like some sort of stalker. Just because I never joined in I have read most of what you have written...

"Why don't you tell me your name so I know who i'm looking at"

12. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I remember, very cool. Hope that things are going well for ya. Glad you jumped on board.

13. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Howdy!

:D

14. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Doody

[​IMG]

15. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

All related??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. chad

Dude that last one looks like the guy my ex wife ran off with. She kept complaining about splinters but I said no, whats done is done!

17. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Wow! That's some "first" theater! :)

18. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Welcome!

I too was a mod at Home Theater VIllage way back in the day..but sadly the site never took off.

19. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Welcome! :)

JL

20. chad

Chris, this is my first dedicated space. I have been buying / upgrading gear for years . I was on a pretty low budget when I bought the set up I have now but it works really well in the space. I would like to upgrade speakers at some point but I have JBL E30 for front mains and EC35 for the center and I like it.

My last system was Klipsch and Svs sound with an Onkyo receiver, no, not the same one I have now. I really like their gear