Hitachi dual format player for the PC

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by cjd, Jun 12, 2007.

1. cjd

cjd New Member

Covered at Anandtech though I'm sure it'll crop up more places. I think they don't let folks link to their images or I'd post that... kind-of boring anyhow.

Very curious how this will be priced. No burn capability for the high-def formats so it could be reasonably priced. Time will tell. :)

C

2. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

Interesting... could be that my next-gen DVD player might be a HTPC...

3. Chris White

Chris White New Member

If it weren't for the fact that I'd need a new video card (no hdmi) and the lack of the new sound formats, I'd be all over this.

4. cjd

cjd New Member

You actually need one of the low-end models, and I think the brand-newly-released ATI's will have an edge over the nVidia's even (this is speculation based on specifications - no real-world testing has been possible yet). So under $200, probably under $150. ATI is even talking AGP availability. Yeah, not pennies. But not way out of line either, IMHO. The trick is this dual format player will have to be under $450 or you could get separate drives for less. I'd really like to see it hit a $300 or less price point, and I think that should be quite possible.

Software becomes the next nightmare.

It's not going to be cheaper than stand-alone if you go single format (dual-format priced right will be about 2/3 all said and done I think), and scaling isn't going to be a big win. I think the HTPC will be less a boon if it's JUST for movies now. If you also use it as a PVR and to house media, ...

C