1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

hmmmmmmmm

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Drew, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/07/06/14/180222.shtml

:shock:

What's the legality of requiring them to START creating documentation (as an example, or if they ask them to) OR asking them to CREATE documentation that does not currently exist?

Self incrimination?

2. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Wow, just wow.

3. Drew

I think if you read all materials presented, you COULD make an argument that the judge understands shutting down a computer to remove the ram is bad (in this case), but then again maybe not...

This will be interesting. I think it really sucks that you can be a judge and make decisions on something that you have NO idea about, regardless of knowledge of the law.

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

LOL, look at congress, they actually pass laws governing our tubes. Actually I think its not as hard as you might guess, they're just doing the right thing. It would be completely unethical not to vote for a bill after someone has paid you to do so.

5. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

The last time I heard this exact comment was in a situation as bad as this judge's ruling:

A married couple, Jane & John Doe, had some candles burning. These were large candles and had quite a bit of melted wax around the flame. Jane, in an effort to clean up, dumped the melted wax down the sink. John was just about speechless, the only thing he could say was "Wow, just wow."

6. Drew

:lol: :lol:

7. cjd

cjd New Member

Ahh, how fun it is to pull quotes out of context.

The judge isn't as stupid as this out of context quote makes it seem.

THe judge is basically saying "you CAN log the stuff we're asking you to log, so there's no excuse saying 'oh, we didn't log that' - with the worst case scenario being you need to take a contstant read of RAM and store it.

8. Drew

Just saying... Also, speaking of context, what is the "output" of the ram going to look like? It's not going to be nice and neat. How is it converted, won't there be a bunch of junk in there (pertaining to IPs) that have NO relevance what they are looking for (people downloading)? DNS servers, people connecting to the sites, etc? I mean it's not illegal to GO to torrentspy.com. How do the torrents work? You aren't DLing FROM torrentspy directly, just the torrent file, correct?

But what is the legality of making the CREATE documentation? Will that hold up?

9. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Which is interesting. I would assume that downloading Spiderman3.torrent is NOT illegal since the content of THAT file is not copyrighted.

10. brianca

brianca New Member

Depends on intent. If you only intend to download the torrent file to examine the contents, that's fine. If you're doing it to further your attempt to download the movie, they'd have you on an intent/attempt charge and perhaps a conspiracy charge if anyone wanted to tackle the conspiracy of one issues.

11. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

Wait- there's a torrent of Spiderman 3?? :wink:

-Dennis

12. Drew

Anyone?

13. Drew

Anyone?