Home theater music...thingie

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Greg W, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Greg W

Greg W New Member

So I've recently been building my HT. I have never had much interest in music myself, nearly all of my entertainment 'passion' is for movies.

My girlfriend, however, has other ideas. :)

She mentioned to me the other day that I've spent all this money on watching movies, with all this audio equipment...and then asked me how to play music on it. Much to my chagrin, I could do nothing more than work my jaw silently for a moment or two as I realized that I know absolutely nothing about how to do just that.

So, in the interests of domestic peace, I figured I'd try to learn, a little. I think in the old days, I'd just find a cd player with a tuner and plug it into my reciever...I don't think that'll cut it nowadays, she wants to be able to play music from her ipod and computer.

So! The question is, what sort of devices are there that will play radio, cd's, and music from computers or Ipods? Concrete suggestions that I can go and research would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, guys.

2. TimB

TimB New Member

http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html
    http://www.rokulabs.com/products_soundbridge.php
    The squeezebox, while a little more expensive, sounds better (particularly its analog outputs) - but if you are playing lossy compressed files you probably won't notice.

Rip your library to the computer, network one of these wired or wireless, run the digital or analog outputs to your receiver/prepro, and you are good to go.

I don't run an ipod, so can't help you specifically, but I am sure there are many docking stations that would have a line output to your stereo.

3. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Member

Let me see if I understand your situation.

YOU HAVE A GIRLFRIEND WHO

1. WANTS TO LISTEN TO MUSIC ON YOUR HT

2. DOES NOT OBJECT TO THE SPECE IT TAKES UP OR HOW IT LOOKS???

Lucky #%&*@?^$%$.

She could run a cable from the headphone jack in the Ipod to an AUX input in your pre-amp.

Most DVD players play CDs. If you are using a receiver, there's always the FM.

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

It would help if we knew what you have now, brands & models. Also, how much are you willing to spend in the cause of domestic serenity? :wink:

5. Greg W

Greg W New Member

TimB, Thanks for the links, I'l check them out.

Jack, heh heh, thanks for the suggestions. I'll let her know, but I suspect she won't want to mess with wires, I'm gonna be the one that winds up doing all that...

Dan,

Panasonic 58PZ700u
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Rocket RS760 surrounds
    Rocket RSC200 center
    Velodyne 12" sub, until I can get an SVS sub this summer

6. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Just burn a few party mix cd's and play them on your DVD player...problem solved.

:)

7. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

No messing with wires? Likes the iPod? I give you:

41Q2SRTQCGL._SS500_.jpg

Sonos ZP100 Digital Music System Bundle

Also sounds like Rhapsody is just her speed. Good luck.