1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Homeowner problem: raccoons

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Carl Johnson, May 11, 2007.

1. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Member War Zone Member

Every year raccoons dig a hole in my parent's roof and move into the attic. They live in a neighborhood that's a few blocks away from the largest municipal park in the midwest so it goes without saying that there will be wildlife in the area but there must be something that they can do to keep the raccoons away. Any suggestions?

2. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

An electrically charged roof?

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Member War Zone Member

Last year Dad hired a professional to trap the raccoons. Although they caught a few that clearly didn't solve the problem because the roof got torn up last year and there has been damage this year. The trapper charges $50 a coon so being the notorious cheapskate that he is Dad's solution is to buy his own traps and a gun so that he can kill them himself.
    I can't stop the man from trapping the raccoons but my dad is approaching 60, and he's in no kind of physical condition to be trapping wild animals. The last time he fired a gun was in 1969 as part of his ROTC training.
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry so I don't know which smiley to use. It's so stupid that I can't help but to laugh, but I don't want my dad to catch rabies.
    Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.....

4. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Do his neighbors have similar problems or is there something unique about his house that is attracting the raccoons?

5. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I have been dealing with the raccoon problem myself. After 4yrs this spring we have a raccoon opening up our garbage cans and making a mess. I am tired of having the garbage cans in the garage. I am this close in doing something drastic.

6. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

How can you make it more difficult for the coons to get on the roof? Can you trim trees and shrubs against the house? Grease downspouts or encase the lower portions in PVC pipe? Yadda yadda...

7. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I say, get as many raccoons in there as you can, seal it off and then catch the attic on fire.

8. Jerry Pease

I got new garbage cans with very secure lids. It seemed to worked, but I am afraid that will only last a short time.

9. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I moved this to the off topic area since its not a HT/Audio related post. This area gets the most traffic any way ;)

10. We have the same problem with Squirrels during especially cold winters for our parts. We found that the only solution is to go into the attic and make noise frequently and before they build their nest there...
    Still, even then we find small nests when we venture into the attic nooks in the spring.
    Good Luck.

11. EricS

EricS New Member

Jerry:

Try using black plastic garbage bags and pour in some ammonia. Then, try to put some pressure on the bag when you close it. The first claw that goes in will release a nasty smelling spray of ammonia and the animals shouldn't dig any further.

Eric

12. Jerry Pease

I am having a hard time visualizing your suggestion.

13. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Make an amonia water balloon out of a garbage bag is what it looks like.

14. EricS

EricS New Member

Yep, go for the water balloon look. After adding the ammonia, just make sure there is plenty of air space in the bag before you tie it closed. It helps if it sits out for the late afternoon the day before so the ammonia diffuses throughout the bag.

15. EricS

EricS New Member

Yep, go for the water balloon look. After adding the ammonia, just make sure there is plenty of air space in the bag before you tie it closed. It helps if it sits out for the late afternoon the day before so the ammonia diffuses throughout the bag.

16. What if the animal punctures the bag and nasty smelling fluid runs down your walls?

17. What if the animal punctures the bag and nasty smelling fluid runs down your walls?

18. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I had this problem years ago. The solution involved traps, guns, spray bottles of bleach, and incredible patience. The beasties brought huge flea problems. I don't think they are cute anymore.

19. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I had this problem years ago. The solution involved traps, guns, spray bottles of bleach, and incredible patience. The beasties brought huge flea problems. I don't think they are cute anymore.

20. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

You only put a small amount of ammonia in the bag, 1 cup or even less for a full sized trash bag. And if you position them well, the raccoons or squirrels will only puncture the top of the bag(s), so most of the fluid will remain inside and simply evaporate over time.