1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Honda to Use Clean Diesel Instead of Hybrid

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Jerry Pease, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Source > http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7531

2. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

That's the most important part of the article.

4. Stefan

Stefan Active Member War Zone Member

All I know is that whenever I am behind a deisel automobile, I have to pull over for a few minutes for the stench to go away.

Stefan

5. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

I agree!

What are the advantages of diesel?

6. CJ

Massive fuel economy. There are conventional diesel engines that WASTE hybrids in MPG. What you're smelling is probably sulfur and other byproducts of burning "old school" diesel. They're taking care of this literally right at this time. This is why so many diesel engines were yanked from the market for the 2006-2008 model years. When they start coming out they will be a lot cleaner. Not to mention the fact that a well designed and maintained diesel engine will last a lot longer. That's ONE of the reasons they're in semis.

7. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

I've never owned (or know anyone personally who has owned) a diesel car, but I always thought that there were problems with them in cold winters. Is this still true?

8. CJ

No, not true any more. I know my dad still plugs in his tractors but 1) they're tractors, and 2) some of them are older than I am. This is not an issue with a modern passenger vehicle.

9. Jason Lorette

Chris...this used to be a problem...not so much anymore. Most diesel also have the option of being 'plugged in' on really cold nights so that the engines are warmed throughout the night to allow easier starts in the morning. (not exactly how it works but essentially)

Jason

10. Allen

Allen New Member War Zone Member

...this will be interesting, to see if Honda can overcome the "stigma" diesels have - the stench and smoke they belch whenever someone is behind a diesel truck or bus is the antithesis of "green", IMO (just as several posts here have already pointed out).

Looks like an uphill battle to me. But, I guess it makes some sense strategically, for Honda to go a different direction from Toyota. Especially since the Prius has already kicked Honda's ass in the hybrid car market.

11. Allen

CJ-
    did you grow you on a farm, too? My dad still has a tractor or two older than HIM.

12. CJ

Yep, grew up outside a town of 200 in rural Iowa. I doubt my dad has a tractor older than him any more. They used to have an old ford tractor when I was still living at home that probably would have been but I think its gone now.

13. Allen

What part of Iowa? My wife's from Davenport, and her family is from Columbus Junction. (I grew up on a farm in S. IL - milked the cows in the summer at night so my dad could stay in the field until 11pm)

14. CJ

Other side of the state. Southwest, down by council bluffs, but 30 miles away. My grandmother lives in Clinton Iowa though and that's where my mother/aunts grew up.

15. Jason Lorette

It may have something to do with Isuzu buying Toyota (mainly for their Diesel technology IMHO)...Toyota's next gen trucks with soon have deisel engines if I had to make a guess...eventually I imagine we are going to see a "hybrid diesel" as gas is still much more costly to refine than diesel.

You have to think that some of the "belchers" that are on the road today...are 20+ years old and have barely been touched in any way, let alone been re-built, which is a huge kudos to their durability design. When those engine were built the idea of 'emission control' was a farce (still is for the most part) and they didn't worry what was coming out of the pipe..now they are designing more efficient and emission friendly diesel engines. This is why VW has taken a year off from releasing a new VW with a diesel engine to make sure that they come out with a model that meets 'all' emission standards, including California.

Jason

16. Jerry Pease

maybe this will catch your attention >
    http://world.honda.com/news/2004/4040506.html

17. Jerry Pease

exquezeme, but it is the other way around. Toyota bought GM's part in Isuzu

18. Shane

Shane Active Member

This new change by Honda is 1 of 2 things.

1. An admission that they can't compete with Toyota on the Hybrid market. Nissan licenses Toyota's technology if that tells you something.
    2. They're smart enough to realize what the Europeans have known for years.

19. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

Don't confuse old diesel emissions with that of trucks/buses with that of new diesel regs.

I'm almost positive you've been behind/around new diesel vehicles and not even known it.

Diesel engines typically run slower, hence why that last forever. Economy is very good while still keeping up a reasonable amount of performance. Look at some of the euro cars around, a BMW 3-series turbo diesel will yield same/better performance than it's gas counterpart, but have a 30-40 percent increase in fuel economy.

20. Jeff

Jeff New Member

Sweet! I've been eyeing the diesel market for a few years. The only companies that had balls to try it here recently were Mercedes and VW.
    These could and will be highly competitive to electric-hybrid cars.

Jeff