1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Hot Fuzz - Short Review

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by E Jones, May 10, 2007.

Tags:
  1. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

From the guys who brought you the romantic comedy with zombies "Shaun of the Dead" comes "Hot Fuzz". In "Hot Fuzz" they take a similar aim at the buddy action flick. I caught this tonight and am happy to report that it's a first rate action/comedy. I laughed so hard at times my sides hurt. The theater was packed and the audience was into it. My favorite flick of the year so far. This one is worth full admission.

-EJ

2. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member

I have to wait for a HD DVD release, if that does not happen I will make an exception and buy SD. I love SOTD, are the boys in other movies together?

3. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

Shaun and Hot Fuzz are their only films thus far. Here's a bit from Wikipedia:
    "From 1998 to 2004, Pegg regularly featured on BBC Radio 4's The 99p Challenge. In 1999, he created and co-wrote the Channel 4 sitcom Spaced with Jessica Stevenson. For this project Pegg brought in Frost, his best friend. For his performance in this series Pegg was nominated for a British Comedy Award as Best Male Comedy Newcomer. Pegg co-wrote (with Spaced director Edgar Wright) and starred in the "romantic zombie comedy" film Shaun of the Dead, released in April 2004. At George A. Romero's invitation, Pegg and Wright made cameo appearances in Romero's latest zombie film, Land of the Dead."

-EJ

4. John Kotches

John Kotches New Member

My wife and I are very much looking forward to catching this one soon...

These days, you have to catch a film very soon to see it in a theater -- SotD is one of my fav films of the last few years.

Cheers,

5. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

I enjoyed it but not as much as you evidently did. Ran a bit too long (i.e., they had about 1:30 of entertaining material and stretched it).

6. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Hot Fuzz

Simon Pegg is officially my new hero. I really enjoyed Shaun of the Dead and was looking forward to this one. I gave it a spin yesterday.

Basically, Simon takes the American Action Movie and applies it to British film. The results are at once both hilarious and exciting.

The story follows our main character Nicholas Angel (played by Pegg). He is the most amazing police officer (not policeman) ever. He graduated top of his class, has more arrests than the rest of the department put together, etc. His reward for all of this? He gets "promoted" to a small village in the middle of nowhere.

Unfortunately for Angel there is ZERO crime in his new location... and yet something seems to be "off" about the situation. What follows is some hilarious comedy, and some over the top action as Angel attempts to decipher a deepening mystery that involves a lot of "accidents", and a "Michael Bay" ending that even includes a helicopter flying in slow motion!

If you like British humor and if you enjoyed Shaun of the Dead I think you will love this film. I can't wait to see what he does next.

7. Eric

Eric Active Member

Yeah I saw this in the theater this spring. Not quite up to par with Shaun of the Dead, but an excellent movie nonetheless.

8. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

I wanted to like this movie, but I didn't find it funny at all. I loved SHAUN OF THE DEAD!

9. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

That's interesting. I did like Shaun of the Dead better, but it's hard not to like a movie with zombies better. :) I'm just surprised you didn't find Hot Fuzz funny at all.

10. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

I loved this movie but maybe not quite as much as Shaun of the Dead. Their BBC show Spaced from the late 90s is quite good as well.

11. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

I loved it.

Nicolas: "I can't remember a time when I didn't want to be a police officer, except for the summer of 1979 when I wanted to be Kermit the frog. I remember when I was five, my uncle Derek bought me a police pedal car. There wasn't a minute of the day I spent out of that car. I went round - arresting kids much bigger than me. I got beaten up a lot, but it didn't stop me"

Danny: "Man, he sounds like a great guy!"

Nicolas: "Actually he was arrested for selling drugs to students, probably bought the pedal car with the proceeds."

Danny: "What a cunt."

12. John Kotches

John Kotches New Member

Is this available on either HD format?

Cheers,

13. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

it's on HD-DVD.

14. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Added to the Netlfix queue.

15. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

I raved and raved with a thread at HTT when this was out in the theater. It didn't get much response. This is still one of my favorite films of the year and I plan to purchase the HD-DVD soon.

-EJ

16. John Kotches

John Kotches New Member

Troy:

Thanks! I'll have to do some digging in the local retail hell to see if I can round it up :(

Cheers,

17. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

I was entertained by this film, much moreso than by the highly overrated "shaun of the dead". But still, it ran about 20 minutes too long.

18. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Just finished this movie. I loved it, (loved Shaun of the Dead as well.) Good action, funny, and some of the dialog was simply brilliant (Dustin quoted one of my favorites as well.)

19. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I think this looks really good. I've got the HD-DVD in my rental queue.

20. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Quickest 180 in movie history. I was rolling.