1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

How do I get an external monitor to display my laptop?

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Matt Johnson, May 9, 2007.

1. Matt Johnson

Matt Johnson New Member

I have my monitor hooked into the laptop port that matches the connector, but no image goes to the monitor.

I thought there was a function key I had to hit to send it to the monitor, but I can't remember it...HELP!

2. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

On my dell laptop, it's Fctn-F8. It toggles from LCD to CRT to LCD/CRT.

3. David Head

David Head New Member

On my Dell laptop, I have a control panel that allows me to use two monitors at once (the laptop and external monitor). This lets you drag windows from one screen to the other. You should be able to go into the Display Control Panel, choose Settings and click Advanced to get to the option if it is available. I can also open the display driver control panel itself (Intel Graphics in my case) and set the options. It lets me choose which is the primary monitor and which is the secondary monitor. I set mine up to use my external monitor as the primary when it is connected. When I only have the laptop on, it defaults to the laptop monitor.

4. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

David, great point.

Matt, are you trying to set it up as a dual monitor or just for external display? Either way, you should be good to go.