1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

How Do You Listen To Stereo?

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Dan Driscoll, May 9, 2007.

1. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Just a quick outline of the equipment you use to listen to 2 channel music. For me:

Carver SD/A-360 CDC
    Newcastle SD-860 universal player
    Music Hall MMF-5 TT, w/AT-440ML cartridge
    LiTe Audio DAC 62
    Audio Refinement Pre-5 MC analog preamp
    Sherbourn 5/1500A power amp
    Vandersteen Model 2C full range speakers

IC's are a combination of Outlaw PCA, Blue Jeans LC-1 and mas Silver.

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Plug a cd into my DVD player, hit "DVD" then "Stereo Mode" on my new JVC receiver and listen.... :wink: :D

3. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Very Nice, Dan.

My main 2-channel setup consists of:

North Star Design model 192 transport and DAC
    Halcro DM8 preamp and MC20 amp
    Slim Devices Squeezebox3 through a Scott Nixon Tube DAC+
    Krell LAT-1 loudspeakers in silver
    Dave Yohn designed 5 cuft ported subwoofer system based on an Aura Sound NS15 woofer and driven with a North Audio subwoofer plate amp

In my wife's work room is a second Squeezebox, sans DAC for now
    Onix A-120MKII integrated amp
    A set of Dave Yohn designed loudspeakers using HiVi 8" woofers, CSS WR125 mid and Fountek ribbon tweets

Both systems use OEM power cords and Belkin UPS/power conditioner, 14AWG zip cord speaker wire and a whatever ICs fit, keeping runs as short as possible and crossing power cables at right angles.

4. Stefan

Stefan New Member War Zone Member

Just like Alfer - but without the new JVC. Just an old Yamaha.

Stefan

5. Buzz Goddard

Buzz Goddard New Member

I have two channel music in almost every room in the house (in everything but the mud room/entrance and one of the bathrooms) in a variety of portable devices and our cars.
    When I want to really listen, I play it on the he-man system and rarely then in two channel stereo.

6. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

You guys both have "WOW" systems that are very cool! I can play this game now too :D

From source to speaks ~

Raysonic CD-128 top loader cd player w/ Zu Gede ICs
    Squeezebox3 ( still waiting for Scott Nixon to build my dac) which is just gathering dust
    Consonance Cyber 222 pre-amp w/ Zu Gede ICs to
    Consonance Cyber 845 monoblock power amps
    Zu Libtec speaker cables
    Zu Druid mk4 loudspeakers
    SVS Ultra2 sub w/Carver IC
    Consonance power supply

Do any of you guys who use subs high pass your mains?

7. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Artie: re: hi-passing the mains. I tried it both ways in my 2-channel system and liked running the mains full-range much better. I adjusted the low-pass and level setting on the sub so it "sneaks in" under the mains and fills out the bottom two octaves.

In my HT system the mains are high-passed @ 80Hz.

8. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

With my ears! :lol:

But seriously:
    Classe' CDP 100 cd player
    B&K Ref 50 pre-pro
    Two, Carver M4.0T amps in single ended mono
    Carver silver edition, "amazing" speakers.
    and on occaision, lp's on my old Empire Scientific tt.
    Connects mostly Transparent Cable

In stereo only, I don't listen to music with the center or surrounds.

9. John Beavers

John Beavers New Member War Zone Member

Modified Marantz SACD player to Pioneer Receiver to ACI Sapphire XL monitors.

10. cjd

cjd New Member

Shiny plastic >
    Sherwood-Newcastle SD-860 >
    Not quite ready yet: DAC built around the Wolfson WM8740 (kit) >
    preamp built around the TI THS4131 with the NS LM4562MA as instrumentation, relay based attenuator (outputs true balanced signal to:) >
    Outlaw 2200 monoblocks >
    Big bad speakers I designed and built in collaboration with Brian Bunge. Crossovers are mine, the rest was a mix.

Other systems exist. But that is the system.

Outlaws will someday be replaced with some self-built (and partially self-designed amps)

11. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

DIY turntable into
    DIY phono stage into
    DIY preamp into
    Behringer crossover into
    DIY SS amp, DIY tube amp, Behringer EQ, Behringer SS amp into
    DIY speakers, DIY sub

The CD player and DAC aren't DIY :)

12. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

That's so cool, and Chris too!! How much do you guys have tied up in parts and hours? I'm sure you keep track. I know you diy, but seeing it all laid out like this is awesome! I so would love to do that...

13. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

More than I want to think about :) And it's been built over a long time too. I've probably had the guts of the preamp/linestage guts for 5+ years.

14. murrayb

murrayb Active Member War Zone Member

Until recently, it was always on my main system: Krell Showcase amp & pre-amp; Ayre 7e cd player; Definitive Technology 7002s.

However, after years of working in my home office (evenings/weekends)listening to music over the internet through $60 computer speakers (sadly, much more time than with the main system), decided I should put something a little better together without going too crazy since its background music while I work. So I resurrected my previously retired Denon CD player (1989 vintage) and my old Dual turntable (in storage since the early 90s) and bought a Sherwood Newcastle receiver and some Rega Ela speakers. I'm more than thrilled with the results; especially with the Ela speakers which are just marvelous sounding. What's fun is rediscovering all my old records which I hadn't listen to for about 15 years; although I didn't miss the hisses and crackles which go along with LPs.

15. BlakeG

BlakeG New Member

My stereo is:

Dynaudio Confidence 4
    2 x Velodyne DD-18
    Levinson 33H
    Levinson Ref32
    Emm Labs CDSA
    VPI HR-X
    Aesthetix Rhea
    Slim Devices Transporter (3500+ Cds ripped using FLAC stored on a RAID box)

ICs and speaker cables are all Nordost / a mixture of Red Dawn, Blue Heaven and a couple of Valhalla.

However, we are looking to move into a single-family home (we are in a townhouse) and will have to seriously downsize (we are in ~2200 sq ft, looking at houses that are ~1300-1400, so this stuff for the most part have to go)

I really like it, and most of it was bought used so the up-front was not as bad as it looks! I really like the way it sounds, the Dynaudios really shine with lots of power, which the Levinson can surely provide.

Blake

16. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Sources: HTPC w/ Audiotrak Prodigy 192 Sound Card or Clearaudio Emotion Turntable w/ Satisfy Tonearm
    Pre/Pro: B&K Ref 31
    Amp: B&K 7270
    Speakers: Boston Acoustics VR-970
    Interconnects and Speaker Wire: DIY

17. Jason P

Jason P Member War Zone Member

HTPC with Chaintech AV-710 into
    Monica II NOS Dac (modified) into
    DIY 6DJ8 Stepped Attenuator Preamp into
    DIY EL34 Push Pull Amp (based off a Dynaco ST-70) into
    Dayton 8's

18. cjd

cjd New Member

Hours? Who knows. Speaker design is a process I mull in the back of my mind in between things and work on when I find the chance. Of course, I've done designs for others and not build them too. How many hours do you spend listening? It's a different hobby for me (the DIY side) so I don't really track it.

Parts, probably a few thousand into the various DIY projects (not all of which I listed since they're in other systems or not completed yet.) Was hoping to finish the DAC this weekend but now I have to work :(

Other systems include the HT, the family room system, the office system... and more on the way. ;)

C

19. Steve L.

Steve L. New Member

Haven't done this in a while, so here I go.

Analog source VPI/Rega RB300/Grado Platinum
    Digital source: Transport CEC DAC Reimyo DAP777

AMPS:
    Tube 845 monoblocks * 2
    Gainclone
    Bryston 8BST

Pre AMp: Plinius 8200MKIII

IMAGO interconnects and speaker wire. Wire world digital coaxial

Speakers : DIY open baffles. EV SP15a wideband drivers. Fountek ribbon tweeter cdpro5i. Altec 515B reconed driver.

Tweaks : Plates under sources/amps on cubes and BDR cones.

Dedicated electric circuit

Semi treated room.

20. Stereo Sources:
    Modwright Denon 3910 Tubed Output disc player w/outboard PS9 power supply
    Rega P25 TT w/ RB600 arm and SuperElys Cart

Preamps:
    Krell HTS 7.1
    ProJect Phono Box SE

Amps:
    ATI AT3007
    Antique Sound Labs MG Head OTL w/Sylvania JHS-5751 & Svetlana 12ax7 tubes

Speakers:
    Mirage M3si
    Sennheiser HD-600 Headphones

Cables:
    Blue Jeans, Bettercables and Sound King.

I usually don't use my subwoofer for stereo music listening.