1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

How to cover a window

Discussion in 'Picture Show' started by Steve Tannehill, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

After considering all the options, I had a brainstorm and figured out a way to cover the window in my home theater at a very low cost--$25 or so in raw materials, household supplies, and a theatrical banner which was long overdue for relocation.

Granted, the banner alone cost 10 times the raw building materials. But it's paid for.

Before:
    [​IMG]

During:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

More:
    Covering the home theater window

- Steve

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Nice work and great results. Obviously you don't intend to use the window in the near term but it looks great.

3. Steve Tannehill

I never wanted the window, but they would not build the house without it. Now if I ever sell the house, we pull the inset and the window is restored.

The frame/insulation/drywall/tape/bed/texture/paint solution was the perfect fix, but it would have cost a lot more in labor and probably taken a week to do right, with displacement of the furniture and electronics. This took an afternoon, and it keeps to the theme of the home theater--movie posters, pictures, and memorabilia.

The Star Wars autographs will be put up along one of the walls. I will probably get a shelf for some of the toys in their boxes, although that is too much like The 40 Year Old Virgin for comfort. :D

And those light sabers can be wall mounted... mmm...

- Steve

4. Paul Meade

Paul Meade Member

Ah...the Force is strong with this one....

5. Chris White

Chris White New Member

What are the two layers under the poster? Can you tell any difference in the acoustics? The media room in our new house has three big windows that literally take up one entire wall. I've been contemplating how to deal with them so your solution definitely caught my attention.

6. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Oops. Never mind. I missed the link the first time.

7. Steve Tannehill

Chris, sorry, I have not been around much this week and just noticed your post.

I have not used the room enough yet to comment on the acoustics, but will try this weekend...

- Steve