1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

HTL Conduct Policy - ALL members please read.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by CJ, May 16, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

When I started up Home Theater Lounge, I did so in the hope of carrying on the spirit and camaraderie that existed at HTT. Regrettably, though not unexpectedly, some of the old problems are already beginning to surface. To ensure the success of HTLounge I feel it necessary to nip these issues in the bud, before the poison spreads. Accordingly, I am imposing some rules which will be strictly enforced by the Administrators, Moderators and myself.

The rules are based on common courtesy. Simply put, it is not acceptable to be rude to other members, which includes insulting their religious belief systems, their race, their livelihood, or any other fundamental aspect of who they are. Good natured teasing between friends was always a part of HTT, and will similarly be part of HTLounge. But it ceases to be good natured when one party is hurt or demeaned by it. And please understand that subtle or cryptic insults or inuendo are every bit as unacceptable as those which are more upfront. If the Admins/Mods feel that a member is behaving in an inappropriate manner, a warning may be sent and the member may be suspended, however, the Administrators reserve the right terminate a member's access without a warning or suspension.

It does not please me to have to post these rules, and the last thing I want is for them to dampen the spirits of the members. I of course want HTLounge to be a fun place, and believe in my heart that it can be so. I will however, not allow a few bad apples to ruin the whole bunch.

Please help me make HTLounge into a terrific place we can all call ?home.?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2007
  2. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Although I understand this is not ideal for you from a personal standpoint, I think it is great news for the long term health of the HTL community.

3. Stefan

Stefan Active Member War Zone Member

Well said. But I had to look over to remind myself it was you talking and not Mike. It could have been either one of you on their respective forums. It's too bad it has come to this in only 2 weeks.

Stefan

4. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

If everyone plays nice...this will be a moot thread....it's that simple. It's unfortunate that CJ has to make this statement (already) but better now than when the instigators of said irritations get entrenched into HTL. If we all attempt to be diligent and be respectful to one another everything should be fine.

JL

5. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

As long as the moderators impose the rules onto themselves we should be fine.

6. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

I'm an Angel!!!
    Don't worry about me. :twisted:

7. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I hope you have surge protectors in the house! I think someone is about to be struck by lightning.

:wink:

8. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

David,

If I need to quote you in a post, what process do I need to go through to get permission?

I ask because I thought your previous post was a tad humorous, and wanted to copy it. :wink:

9. According to CJ's policy, would this response to one of my posts be okay? Personally, I felt like I was insulted. Should I have felt that way?

As I understand it, according to CJs policy, this poster should have said something like this.

Doesn't that make the same points without insulting or denigrating folks?

Let's all make a special effort to be more friendly and respectful of each other regardless of our disagreements on some issues. :D

10. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

merc, I meant no offense to you. Sorry if it offended you. But I wrote what I wrote the way I wrote it. Your version does not say the same thing. If you feel it is denigrating, perhaps we have a language barrier to overcome.

11. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I don't see a problem with the original version. It was not directed towards a specific person, is supported by facts, and was not inflammatory.

Thanks,
    CJ