1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

HTL MotMC - May - Pan's Labyrinth

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by CJ, May 10, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

2. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

It is number 1 on my Netflix list!

Just need to wait for it to be released!

3. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

Good Choice! Can't wait to see what others think.

So how is the MotMC being chosen? I'd like to throw out "Children of Men" for a future month.

-EJ

4. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

ROFL... Children of Men is #2 on my Netflix list!

I am set for this MotMC thing!

5. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

A fried advised against watching Children of Men while my wife was pregnant :)

Is Pan's Labyrinth out on DVD already? I definitely want to see that. And Children of Men :)

6. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Netflix shows PL coming out on the 15th. COM is out and ready to ship (as an HD DVD as a nice bonus).

7. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

I'm in.

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

This one is a blind buy for me.

9. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I'm not sure how we'll choose who chooses the movie. We'll cross that bridge when we get there. BTW, don't be offended when I delete posts... after the reviews get started, I'll delete off-topic posts like this one from the thread to keep it clean.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Active Member

Pan's Labyrinth is possibly the most critically acclaimed film of 2006. It has ratings of 98% from Metacritic , 96% from Rotton Tomatoes and currently an 8.5 average rating from IMDB. It was nominated for 6 Academy Awards and won three:
    Best Cinematography, Best Art Direction, Best Make Up - won
    Best Foreign Language Film, Best Original Score, Best Original Screenplay: Nominated.

I may not be able to post on this until I return from a vacation on May 25, so don't mind my absence. I would suggest that each of these monthly discussions be full disclosure, meaning spoilers and all. Since many will not have an opportunity to view this until next Tuesday at the earliest, maybe those who have already seen it in the theater can hold off until then to post their comments.

11. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I agree, no need to use spoilers in this discussion thread.

12. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Mine's coming next week, already ordered from Amazon. I'm looking forward to this Movie of the Month club :)

13. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

I like this idea and will definately pick this one up. Too bad it's not coming to BD, I've had an embargo on dvd's for a while. Oh well, rules are made to be broken.

14. Shane

Shane Active Member

A defective bunch of HD DVD's no less. Hopefully Universal gets their stuff straightened out.

I'll add Pan's to my rental queue. I'll make sure to take my glasses off to lessen the SD pain.

15. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately, if I do that I won't be able to find the screen. The glasses/contacts are mandatory for me.

16. Chris White

Chris White New Member

It has been in my queue since the Academy Awards.

17. Allen

Allen New Member War Zone Member

I saw this in the theater, but I'll hold off comments until the DVD releases so those renting/buying who didn't catch it in theaters can see it.

There should be a LOT to discuss - PL is pretty rich graphically, historically, and politically, with lots of allegories.

18. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Note: This will be the first post that contains spoilers. Stop reading if you haven't seen the movie yet.

So my wife and I just watched the movie. It's a beautiful, well paced movie with an engaging story. I really enjoyed the entire experience. Visually its stunning as well.

I loved the ending. My wife wanted to know if it was real or not but I told her it didn't matter. Ofelia beat "the system" and never had to live in a world where she didn't believe in fairy tales, something that most of us do not get to do.

The other thing I loved about the movie was that I really didn't know much about it before the movie and was pleasantly surprised during the movie. I thought it was going to be much more like Chronicals of Narnia (which wasn't very good) but this one mixed a lot more of the real-world into it and you got to see how she attempted to cope with the real world by either escaping to, or trying to get to here fantasy world.

19. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

I haven't read Chris Smith's post: I just picked this up this evening (the platinum 2 disk edition) and have yet to see it. Perhaps yet this week.

20. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I think it's safe to say I don't need to watch this with my 5 year old!

:)