1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

HTL MotWC discussion....

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by CJ, May 29, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

We need to designate a picker and pick the June MotM. Any ideas? Flags of our Fathers/Letters from Iowa Jima could make an interesting double feature and they just came out so a lot of people who didn't see them in theaters might be just seeing them.

May - Mike Kelly - Pan's Labyrinth - Affiliate Link

June 4 - Tyson - The Station Agent - Affiliate Link

June 11 - chadci - Amelie - Affiliate Link

June 18 - Steve Tannehill - A History of Violence - Affiliate Link

June 25 - CJ - The Last King of Scotland - Affiliate Link

July 2 - Shane - Chocolat - ?ie=UTF8&tag=homthelou-20]Affiliate Link

July 9 - Michael - Placholder

July 16 - CJ

July 23 - Eric Jones

July 30

2. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

I'd still like to see "Children of Men" as a MotMC. FOOF/LFIJ would be a good too. When you say a picker do you mean one person who's responsible?

-EJ

3. CJ

Well, like Mike Kelly picked the first movie so its the person who picks what we watch. Perhaps we should do a drawing each month. Everyone who wants to pick the June one could post here and I could draw a name on the first. Then I could clear out the thread and start over with the discussion.

4. Shane

Shane Active Member

The Good German?

One quick thing: the oar is 1.33

5. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

I life the idea of taking suggestions and then drawing one at random.

-EJ

6. Shane

Shane Active Member

I like the idea of Mike Kelly picking. He's very diverse, has access to netflix which most of us use and will challenge us. Random picks could result us in watching stuff like Battlefield Earth.

7. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

If it comes down to an individual picker you have my vote for Mike Kelly too. He's a one man IMDB and RottenTomatoes all in one.

-EJ

8. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Mike would consistently have the right movie to pick each month. I'm sure of it.

9. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

I'm in for whatever movie it is, but don't think I should be picking :)

But if I had to pick I'd find something :)

10. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I also vote for Children of Men!

11. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I liked Battlefield Earth.

12. Shane

Shane Active Member

And Ron proves my point. :)

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Active Member

I still like the idea of rotating the people selecting the films. I think in the long run, it will result in a greater variety of films, and more involvement. (Including Ron if he wants to. (Hell, I've never seen Battlefield Earth :)

On a film noir forum that I participate in, they have a Noir of the Week thread. There is a sign up list, and the selectee posts the title and a short review of the film on Monday and it runs until the following Monday. Sometimes they have difficulty getting different selectees for each week, so a few of the more prolific viewers and writers pick up the slack. Here is a link to their latest pick Blood Simple, to give you an idea.

http://members.boardhost.com/mrvalentine/msg/1180351290.html

While I like the idea of a weekly movie, I think it is too short a timespan, especially if the film picked is older and not widely seen. A month is a bit long for one film, but maybe we can shorten it as time goes on, or add a MOTM - Part 2.

So CJ, my suggestion is to post a sign up sheet for June through December, and pick the presenters. I'll fill in if you have any blank months, but I doubt that will happen. I can tell you now, I'm leaning toward Prince of the City for my next pick, a movie that I haven't seen in over 25 years, but will soon revisit on the just released DVD.

14. CJ

That sounds like a great idea! Lets do it weekly knowing that everyone might not participate weekly but can do so when they have the time or when a movie comes up that they are more interested in etc. First person to post a date gets that date. If they fill up, start picking dates beyond July.

June 4 - Tyson
    June 11 - chadci
    June 18 - Steve Tannehill
    June 25
    July 2
    July 9 - Michael
    July 16 - CJ
    July 23
    July 30

15. Tyson

Tyson New Member

This might be obvious but it will probably be good if the presenter also lists the movie, that way us Netflix types can get them well in advance.

16. CJ

Well yeah, but I haven't picked one yet and July 16 is over a month away. I'd say we need to get presenters and movies picked through June. Why don't you sign up, wiseacre!

17. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Active Member

Glad you went for the weekly schedule. This will get more movies out there, and since the threads won't disappear, anyone can post later on, if they can't get to see the movie during its weekly run.

18. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I can do July 9th!

19. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member

Sign me up for 6/11. Does the movie have to be a new release? I have the perfect one in mind if not.

20. CJ

Can be anything you want.