HTL MotWC - July 2 - Chocolat

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by CJ, Jun 14, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Plot Summary
    When a single mother (Juliette Binoche) and her six-year-old daughter move to rural France and open a chocolate shop - with Sunday hours - across the street from the local church, they are met with some skepticism. But as soon as they coax the townspeople into enjoying their delicious products, they are warmly welcomed.

Chocolat

2. chad

chad Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

It has been a while since I have watched this, I will try to find the time.

3. Allen

Allen New Member War Zone Member

Extra bonus: you essentially get a preview of Johnny Depp's character in Pirates of the Caribbean; as he plays a rogue-ish pirate-type in this, as well.

And I especially enjoyed Alfred Molina's character in this, too.

4. Shane

Shane Active Member

This was my suggestion. I personally was completely surprised by this and loved it.

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

You guys are early. I own the DVD so I might actually spin this one again.

6. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

This was another crowd pleaser with my friends when we originally watched it. Of course it helps that we have a couple of hardcore chocoholics. :)

- Steve

7. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Binoche makes this a delightful movie. Forget the chocolate, she's delicious.

8. Allen

Allen New Member War Zone Member

If you like her, it's also probably worth spinning The English Patient, since she has a great role in that.

9. Chris White

Chris White New Member

I agree. She was excellent in that role.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Active Member

Sorry to be late to the game on this one. I experienced my first ever computer crash, and was out of commission for a week.

I didn't get a chance to revisit Chocolat, so my comments are based on seeing it on its release. All in all, a charming French fantasy. Its set up reminded me a bit of Mary Poppins: the winds change and bring in a woman who stirs everything up around her - the winds change and she's gone. If I have any misgivings, it concerns the tone of the film. While a certain amount of bitterness is needed for the story to be effective, at times it seemed too nasty; especially with Peter Stormare's character. I really liked it, but I felt its Best Picture nomination could have gone to Almost Famous, You Can Count on Me or a couple of other films from 2000.

11. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

I Netflixed this years ago and bought it for this thread. Like Shane, I was completely surprised and charmed and loved it. It affected me physically in a way most of you probably didn't experience. I haven't eaten or even tasted anything in over ten years, since I've had my trache, so the scenes of people tasting the sweets, either slowly or popping them in their mouths, made my mouth water wickedly. I could smell and taste as they did on the screen. Gramma's party was particularly effective; all the food looked sooo yummy and the cast did an excellent job conveying that through their expressions and little sounds of enjoyment., even though they probably did twenty takes and were sick of it by then. Definitely my favorite part of the money :D