HTL MotWC - June 25 - The Last King of Scotland

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by CJ, Jun 14, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

As Ugandan dictator Idi Amin, Forest Whitaker gives "one of the greatest performances of modern movie history" (Wall Street Journal), one that the Associated Press calls "nothing short of Oscar(r) worthy." This is Amin's incredible story as seen through the eyes of Nicholas Garrigan (James McAvoy), a young Scotsman who becomes the volatile leader's personal physician, due in part to Amin's unexpected passion for Scottish culture -- Amin even proclaims himself "The Last King of Scotland". Seduced by Amin's charisma and blinded by decadence, Garrigan's dream life becomes a waking nightmare of betrayal and madness from which there is no escape. Inspired by real people and events, this gripping, suspenseful stunner is filled with performances you will never forget.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

No one has picked this slot so I'm going to go ahead and take it and name The Last King of Scotland as the movie of the week this week.

3. And a worthy one it is, CJ. Whitaker made you believe he was Amin. One minute he could be wonderfully charismatic and the next his dark side would come out and he scared the living hell out of you.

4. Allen

Allen New Member War Zone Member

Exactly what George said, concerning Whitaker's performance.

It was also interesting to see the young white doctor seduced by Amin's charm and his subsequent access to power as Amin's right-hand man, in many respects.

5. hgroff

hgroff New Member

great movie, Whitaker did a great job of portaying Amin's multiple personalities. Although the Doctor was a fictional character, you could envision such a person involved at the top level in Uganda. Also I forgot all about the raid on Entebbe taking place, unitl that point in the movie. Once again great movie.

6. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Where did Idi Amin buy his lumber? The Home Despot of course.

7. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I really liked this one as well. Whitaker was great as well as the other guy (yes, I'm too lazy to look it up. Yes I realize it may have been said in this thread).

8. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom New Member

Good film. Top performance by Whitaker. Anyone who knows the history will know this film will be dark and somewhat depressing. Anyone who doesn't should be ready for it.

9. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Ouch!!!

10. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

You all have such great taste! :D Forrest Whitaker has been so solid for so long. From ?Ghost Dog? to ?Bird? to ?The Crying Game,? he?s just so terrific. ?Last King of Scotland? is another great performance, in what I hop will be a long career.