1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Humor: Pirates of the Carribean on a Sony BD machine

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Michael, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Wow, now I feel foolish for upgrading from an A1 to an A2 because of speed issues... Wow, that's definitely AVS forum in the screen shots at the end.

3. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

4. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Sorry I have a life and could not watch the whole thing how did it end? Did the disc ever play?

5. CJ

After it finally loaded, it crashed.

6. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

Was this a BD-J issue, or something else? From what I can gather from the You Tube video, the movie played fine, but they had problems playing a game?

7. CJ

I'm guessing the game crashing was a BD-J issue. That still doesn't excuse the 5 minutes from disk insert to menu. Seriously, the Toshiba owners BITCHED big time about how slow our first generation machines were. If these Sony owners aren't totally ranting on internet forums, then I'd say that's indicative of how much kool-aide they've drunk. That performance is completely unacceptable. Hope the BD300 or whatever the $499 MSRP Sony is called that's coming out doesn't suck eggs that bad.

8. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

Bugs are bugs, and they happen. But the pessimist in me says that these waits may start to become a regular event. The companies seem to be putting more of a burden on the consumer.

Look at the AACS situation (I had no takers in my other thread), updates may be/are required for new movie playback on a PC (I don't know the 360 situation).

What are people supposed to do who don't have a "fast" internet connection. For the longest time, I didn't send in "warrenty" cards on purchases, I just considered them company marketing material. Now I'm faced with a dilemma, send in my warrenty card, and risk getting put on someones marketing/spam list, or possibly go without crucial firmware updates.

Maybe we can still accept all these inconviences, seeing as how we are in the "early adopter/enthusiast" phase.

Sorry for derailing the thread,
    John

9. CJ

That's a valid point John. But you're right, the people dealing with these issues are early adopters and should expect SOME bumps, but yeesh, that's a hell of a bump and for really flagship hardware/content for a launching format, that's kind of crappy.

10. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Mine took a loooooong time to load but I had no crashing issues. Sony released a firmware update the same day which supposedly took care of the issues, I didn't download it as I don't have a dvd burner. When it comes in the mail I'll check it out. I was annoyed at the wait, but once the movie started I forgot about it.

11. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

If you watch the video, the first thing he does is update the firmware.

That still didn't take care of the long start-up time for the movie or prevent the BD-J app from crashing.

BTW... I actually made this thread because of some of the crap I took for suggesting that the changing BD-J spec would have an impact on movie playback and the "extras". I am guessing that issues will become more common for those who bought first, second (and possibly third) generation BD players. I still do not understand why BD purchasers/supporters are not in an uproar and demanding more from the respective BD companies.

12. Shane

Shane Active Member

It loads fine on the PS3. That's partly the main reason I went that route.