I am happy

Discussion in 'Picture Show' started by Jack, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I have to say, after years of messin around with the system, I can honestly say I am really happy with its present incarnation. If anyone is interested I can post better photos including the rear channels.

None the less, this is the best looking, sounding home theater system I have ever owned. It is quite modest to be sure, but for once the system is acting as a whole.
    In other words, nothing of note detracts from the movie I am watching or music I am listening too.

In the past, the system has been bigger, smaller, more powerful, less powerful, spread out and compacted but to no avail. For reasons unknown, but I would suspect in part to the room and the new smaller sub, the system has stopped drawing attention to itself. I have always thought it was fun to show off the system or hear giant explosions or bullets whizzing by my head etc, but that is just not why we watch movies.

Telarc was cool when they were able to reproduce a orchestral drum that moved the living room chairs but lets face it when was the last time we went to a concert to have our chairs moved ? We go to see a performance and maybe occasionally get pucked on but that is another matter. When I go to see a movie, I want to see a movie, I dont want to pick nits about whether or not the bass was right or the dialogue was in the proper position in the room to follow the actor.

The system has now reached the point where nit picking seems moot. I hooked up the sub using the "A" bus speaker taps instead of the LFE connection and voila, it melted right into the system. Yes I have all the power and glory of before but, like my Lexus, the system NOW seems to act as one entity, not a conglomerate of components. I watch a move and it comes to me as a movie without annoying disturbances in the force. I think finishing the second sub in the garage will round it out a bit more, but overall I am very very happy.

Oh and everything is straight and even, it just appears weird in the photo as the cabinet is curved. Also the speakers are about 11' apart on center. I know they look closer but that is the wide angle lens.

The car is a toy for the cat, we tie a string to the top and drive it around the house...she loves it.

IMG_0062Large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2011
  2. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

I am glad you're happy... but it seems you have no center channel so it's less of a "home theater" and more of a stereo on which you happen to watch movies. :)

3. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

:2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu:
    :2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu:

4. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Jack has a center channel; just no center speaker. :)

5. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

Congratulations, Jack! I wish you much enjoyment watching/listening! :tu:

6. Jack

Correct. :tu: I think that Home Theater is defined by what comes out of it, not what goes into it or what parts it encompass.

7. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Congrats Jack! It's great when your system overcomes your nervosa!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2011
  8. Jack

Ohh cool tag line Barry. May I use it ??

9. Barry_NJ

What 'Tag Line'? And sure.

10. Jack

Voila.

11. Shane

Shane Active Member

Jack,
    Nice system.

When is the IB going in? :lol:

12. Barry_NJ

Ah! Enjoy!

13. Jack

When Larrys does :laugh::laugh:

14. chad

chad Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I think IBs are frowned upon in an apartment. His neighbor would never know but though... Wow, that Velodyne IS tiny.

15. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Jack:
    Little by little, step by step, you are beginning to see the light.

Larry

16. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant Top Poster

Keep in mind that many people feel that film is an equally viable art form that should be shown the same respect when it comes to faithful reproduction that music deserves.

In other words,

If we are willing to go to the inth degree to squeeze the best possible sound from our audio systems, whatever that may entail, we should not be so quick to begrudge film lovers the same degree of lattitude.

Just something to think about.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2011
  17. Mike

Jack,

Looks like a great set-up you have going there.

More than anything A/V related, it is good to read the title of the thread from you. I am happy for you my friend!

Mike

18. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Mike:

I have thought about it - extensively - and IMO (note: MY opinion), most of the efforts in that direction add precious little. YMMV.

Larry

19. Mike

I would argue that it would depend greatly on your choice of film....as much so as many audio system refinements are dependent on music selection as well.

Different strokes and all. :)

Mike

20. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

I could not agree more, but I also think there are practical limits and personal tastes to be considered (as there are in music reproduction) so not every "film lover" will go to the same extent.

That being said, I detest phantom center channel sound and think every home theater must employ a center channel speaker and that this is the single most important speaker in any HT setup. But I have been indoctrinated with by the priests at THX so i am biased. :)