1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

I am Legend

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Ron-P, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

2. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Active Member War Zone Member

Wonder if we might get a quick cameo from the original last man on earth if they can pry him away from the NRA for a few days. :)

3. Will is pretty good at what he does, but I am not so sure a remake of the original is a good idea. Few remakes ever make the grade.

4. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Active Member War Zone Member

I did not think Omega man was that good, so this one should surpass it. :)

5. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

This will the third time they're trying to adapt the original Richard Matheson novel. The first two versions ("The Last Man on Earth" with Vincent Price and "The Omega Man" with Charlton Heston) didn't get it right by completely discarding the last third of the story - which is what gives the book its title. The Price version got a lot of the vampire stuff right but suffers from a low budget, the Heston version turned it into a zombie/racial movie.

I have a feeling this will be a slick remake of The Omega Man with vampires this time, but not an adaptation of the novel.

6. Max, I'm surprised you didn't like Omega Man. I thought it was quite good. Now I didn't read the book and I didn't see the Price version, so I wasn't comparing it to anything so it worked for me.

7. NathanP

NathanP New Member

Man.. I hope I am Legend is good..

Because I just finished the book and it was MIND BLOWING. I'm going to see it on opening night. Here's to hoping that it's as good as the book (which it probably won't be).

8. Pete Apruzzese

While I always have hope for the proverbial "good" science fiction film, everything I read shows that this is just a big-budget remake of The Omega Man (which is not a good movie) instead of an actual adaptation of the novel. This started out as a project for Arnold Schwarzenegger many years ago.

9. Shane

Shane Active Member

10. Pete Apruzzese

Those reviews confirm my fears - sounds like Smith is excellent, production is solid, but they used a bad script as their basis and have tossed out the book's ending and, in essence, the title.

11. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Hehe, I got the Omega Man from the trailers, but I thought it was great.

Well not great great, but "B" movie great yes.

:)

12. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I hope its good too. I'm excited about it.

13. murrayb

murrayb Active Member War Zone Member

If you've read the book, it's probably not worth while going to see the movie as you will most likely be disappointed. It is pretty rare for a movie to come close to a book. Mystic River is about the only movie I can think of that I enjoyed after having first read the book.

14. Shane

Shane Active Member

I hardly call a film with a 100+ million dollar budget to be a B movie but hey..

15. Pete Apruzzese

I think he was talking about Omega Man, which ended up as a B-movie made with an A-list star and major studio money. :)

16. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Yes. Charleton Heston no less.

:)

17. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

"Get yer stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape!" Oh wait, wrong film! :lol:

"It's a mad house....a MAD HOUSE!!!" Wait, still the wrong film... :lol:

18. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

Well, if you're expecting to see the book on the screen you're going to be sorry (according to this article.)
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/12...-being-different-than-richard-mathesons-book/

I'm still going to be there on Friday.

-EJ

19. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I've not read the book which I suppose will be an advantage in this instance.

20. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

Yeah, same for me. I hadn't read iRobot either and really enjoyed that film unlike a lot who had read the book.

-EJ