1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

I spent 200 bucks on CD

Discussion in 'Music Lounge' started by Drew Mitten, May 16, 2007.

1. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

I must be crazy!!

I spent over 200 bucks to get the entire collection of Harry Potter books on CD. If I had bought it at full price it would have been nearly 360 dollars.

2. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

You, my friend, are certifiable. :p

Kudos to you though for purchasing them with money and not just stealing them off the net.

3. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Drew:

Do you prefer listening to "books on tape" (as we used to call them), to reading them?

4. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

I love reading books. But this just something I could listen to and get lost in while attempting to sleep. I am very restless at night and don't fall asleep easily. So this is something that would calm me down and I could just drift off. I have memorized those books word for word. I have read them all through at least 15 times.

But I prefer to read along with it if I had the choice.

5. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

Ah well my money goes to the woman who made the books i am so in love with. So I don't mind paying for it.

6. Without knowing anything else but what I know of you... I'd have to say you are the kind of friend/husband/partner/dad I'd love to have.

Even if you bought these for youself.... so what? I've spend much more on myself with regard to content enhancement, without any content income to me.

7. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

Thanks

I did buy them for me. Anything I buy that costs over 100 bucks is mine!!! :twisted: You no touchie unless I say so. MWUHAHAHA.

8. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Thanks Drew, for an excellent explanation.

9. brianca

brianca New Member

Who does the reading on the CDs?

10. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

Jim Dale for the HP series.

11. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Drew, my wife listens to "books on tape" to get to sleep at night as well. I am not sure what the last book she listened to was but I am pretty sure it was Sam L. Jackson doing the reading. The "repeat" button on our bedroom cd player sometimes sticks so there have been times when I go to bed and don't hear a thing until I am just about ready to fall asleep. It tends to be a pretty dramatic "scene" when it kicks on... I get a little urked!

Enjoy! I guess if you are not buying movies there are worse things you can get.....hookers, drugs ya know... the good stuff we can't have.

12. brianca

brianca New Member

Both of which could potentially help you sleep. ;)

13. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

good point brianca, good point.

14. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

The Harry Potter books on CD are great. Jim Dale does a superb job.

I have heard the first three on various road trips.

15. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I will pick up book seven on CD--I have the rest. Add this to the book, of course, and the British special editions. Then I can stop taking up more shelf space!

I've also been curious to hear the Stephen Fry version, which is what is sold in the UK. Fry has an excellent voice, but I can't imagine it being much better than the many voices of Jim Dale.

- Steve

16. Stefan

Stefan Active Member War Zone Member

Good idea Drew. They would put me to sleep too :).

Stefan

17. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

I have been in love with my buy. I can't step away.

But I must for it is now school vacation or summer break. And the 360 is callin my name!!!!

18. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I have listened to one book on tape and it was VERY well done but despite that, I still vastly prefer reading them. Actually, I only listened to part of it and read the rest. It was Atlas Shrugged and the chapters were divided into tracks so I would listen to them on the way to and from work and then pick up in the book that night at home and then start the CD where I left off with the book.