1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

I think this is going to be the NEW house

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Max Yokell, May 30, 2007.

1. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

The house we just made an offer on

OK we have moved on and we are making an offer on the house across the street. This one isn't as large but still as the great neighborhood and fantastic schools so my bonus room as shrunk to 15'6" x 19"6 x 8' but I think I can still fit 7 theater chairs in a row of 4 and second row of 3 with a 106" screen. with 7.1 system. I think the twin SVS Ultra 13s might be a bit much, but I guess it is safe to say I won't be wanting for more LFE.

The yard is incredible between the pool and the front landscaping and large back yard. Not sure how easy it will be to fence in around some of the trees which I would not want to harm. I would like it fenced in for Noah and put a nice swing/play set in the back yard.

Speakers are here more later...

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Very Nice. Let us know if your bid goes through!

3. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Very nice..I dig the enclosed pool area !

4. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Very nice...good luck!

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Good luck on getting it Max, it's a beauty.

6. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Good luck Max!

You remind me of me when we bought out house back in 1999. The HT gear moved in to the house about two weeks before we did! As soon as we got the keys to the place, I had the company I had bought our gear from move everything in!! :)

7. Max Yokell

Now I have a feeling this owner is much more workable because her agent told our agent that they would be. :)

Seriously their house is now empty and they are long gone it looks like if they say yes to our offer and I have been told they would, that all that remains is the inspection process. I am pre-approved for way more then that house and might even take a little time shopping loan rates. I have been told we could close as soon as 15 days if everything runs smoothly.

Which brings up the next problem, I need a 7.1 receiver that can drive my new speakers. The mains are 8 ohms the center 4 and the rears 6 so I guess whatever I get should be rated to 4 ohms which shouldn't be hard now but that used to be a little tougher to find years ago.

I wish Denon or Yamaha or Onkyo would haul ass and get some of the upper end HDMI 1.3 units out.

Then I guess I will have to settle on a projector and am still leaning towards the JVC unit though I might do something more budget minded initially after having seen Mike's the other night.

I am thinking of going with a Carda Classic white screen in the 106" range.

The nice part about the JVC is it is very flexible on placement especially so in front to rear location while the others do not seem nearly so. With the JVC I think I could actually have it all the way on the Back wall (19'6) and still do a 106" screen which might be nice not to have something hanging down from an 8' ceiling right in the walking area of the riser. I mean I guess if I do a 12" riser and that would leave 7' and then hanging it would mean at best a 6'4 clearance which would mean it would be safe from kids and such but taller adults would need to be careful if sitting in the back row.

Max

8. Eric

Eric Active Member

Damn Max, I'm green with envy. Hope this one works out for you. I'll have to pay you a visit some time after you get settled in, especially if you go with the JVC FP ;)

9. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Beautiful. Nice place.

10. mark j

mark j New Member

Looks like a great house, Max. I hope it will work out for you.

11. Max Yokell

OK speakers VERY HEAVY!!!

I lucked out big time in that they came on a pallet and I had them shipped to my office. The guy in the mini-warehouse across from mine was very nice and zipped out with his forklift and gently placed the pallet in front of my door so I could rip the plastic and move individual boxes in.

As I moved each box in I opened them examined them (Did not open the 850s yet) and checked them for damages. Perfect condition so far. As I went through the boxes I realized how I had forgotten how nice the Rocket finishes are. Man these things are beautiful. I had hoped not to have to man handle the 850's in and out of their boxes till I moved, but Sean from AV 123 said there is a limited time that they can file damage reports on so I guess tomorrow I will be manhandling the 850s (100 lbs each) :roll:.

I also got a Center channel stand from them and an extra piece they call the launch pad that bolts to the bottom of the 250s which you can then screw into instead of damaging the great finish of the 250. So when you wall mount you use a bottom mount bracket and screw into this added layer of wood and your rocket is unscathed. :)

So far so good.

Max

12. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

That's good news Max. I keep my fingers crossed everytime I have to ship or am expecting delivery of audio gear.

13. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Max: make sure you actually fire them up before you pronounce all is well. Sometimes damage can be done to internal components that will not show from a visual inspection. I hope they are perfect! AND I look forward to reading your listening impression.

14. Max Yokell

I don't have anything to fire them up with in my office and I can't think of any think I might even test them out with here. I wish then it would be like Honey I am OFF to work won't be home till late. :)

Max

15. Eric

Eric Active Member

Hell, they're only 100lb each. Load them in the truck and head over to Mike's with them. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you moved his speakers to give yours a quick listening. :D

16. Shane

Shane Active Member

Great News Max!

Late June is what I'm hearing at the earliest. Circuit City has a preorder set for the Onkyo 805 at June 21st.

17. Max Yokell

Shane,
    Wasn't there a line of Onkyo integra receivers as well too. Stuff above the 805.

I have been checking web sites and nothing on most of the sites but onkyo and you know it seems things from Yamaha have been dead quiet.

I wish there were more news flowing.

Max

18. Shane

Shane Active Member

Yes but much later on.

AFAIK, there is nothing coming before late June.

19. Michael P

Michael P New Member

Hi Max,

I like the look of that house. It's got to be pretty exciting moving to a place like that.

I just wanted to chime in to wish you luck, not that I know anything about receivers. Are separates beyond your means?

20. Max Yokell

No Michael they really aren't although at this moment in time courtesy of the new house things will be tight for a little bit. The main reason I am looking at receivers is I want HDMI 1.3 switching and everything being converted to HDMI so I can have a single cable to the projector and then I also like the idea of HDMI connection between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players and letting them decode in the receiver and I get the feeling I will be waiting likely till next spring before there is a reasonably priced pre-pro has HDMI 1.3 support for multichannel audio of the new HD formats.

Now for some really good news.

Got confirmation that after some minor haggling over what they are responsible for from the inspection but it got worked out and we are now set to close in 15 days. :)

I got the speakers and the house in the same day. Pretty cool. Now I just need those SVS boys to finish up on the Ultra 13s for me. :)

Max