1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

I won a Kayak...now gotta sell it.

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Alfer, May 25, 2007.

1. Alfer

Alfer New Member

There was a contest at the local Bass Pro Shop and they teamed with the local zoo and had a ton of prizes to give away. The money for the ticket drawing went to the zoo to help fund a new exhibit.

Basically you bought a ticket(s) and your ticket number was put on a small rubber sea lion toy and put in the Bass Pro pond...then a labrador retreiver went in and scooped up 30 of the sea lion toys and they read of the numbers...

Well of all the cool prizes available, the ONE we didn't want to win was a Kayak..and sure enough we did....oh well better than nothing. :D

Now we have to figure out how to sell of this little beast ...so if any of you local Tulsa area folks know anyone who wants a brand new 11' Old Town Voyager one man/woman Kayak and paddle for a bargain price, let me know.

:)

2. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I wonder if there is a local Boy Scout or Girl Scout troop that would be interested in receiving it as a donation.

With it being new, you could probably deduct the full retail value for tax purposes.

3. Erik

Erik Member War Zone Member

He is supposed to pay income tax on the value of winning it though, which would result in no real benefit. Besides, Alfer probably makes so much that his deductions would be limited anyways.

I say put it on concrete blocks in the front yard and call it southern art.

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I like that idea!! I'll put a potted plant in it and say it's an art deco vase.

:)

5. Randy Anderson

Randy Anderson New Member

Any chance you could trade it back to the shop for something you really want?

6. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Not sure...I'm gonna ask the lady who arranged the whole deal...

7. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

You got an Old Town Kayak...*drool*...for free!? And you don't want it?

:?

JL

8. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

I say take it to a river or lake and use it.

9. cjd

cjd New Member

11 feet... that must be an old school whitewater boat then? 'cause otherwise it's not a kayak, it's a sad approximation. ;)

You might be able to get a few hundred bucks for it, maybe a bit more being brand new. I'm not sure what the market will be for you as it's not something to try and ship.

I'll second the suggestion you enjoy the win and take your new toy out to play. Kayaks are great fun for the family. Slow rivers or smaller lakes (well, you don't live by the Great Lakes so I guess my concept of "small lake" isn't what it is for the rest of you, maybe) are perfect.

I own two - a 17 foot sea kayak and an 8 foot whitewater/surf boat. We're planning to hit the river this summer a bunch, hopefully. Will snag a second 17 footer if we manage to keep it up (I used to kayak 4-5 times a week, often more).

C

10. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

11. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Not a fan of water sports etc...plus our rivers and lakes are nasty..no way I'd want to float around them on a hot nasty muggy day... :(

12. Jason Lorette

Geez Alfer...if it's the Voyager that Ken put up...that's a $500US Kayak. Ship it to me...I'll take it...my lakes, rivers and oceans are great.

13. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Yup that's the one....

If I know how to get it to ya at a low shipping cost, I'd do it...

14. Jason Lorette

You have mail.

15. Shane

Shane Active Member

If you do freight like Forward Air, it shouldn't cost that much. $100 ish. My friend and I shipped a pinball machine this way and it was around $100. The machine weighed over 350 lbs.

16. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Trick is what extra's are involved in getting it to Canada...meaning fees, paperwork, customs etc?

17. Shane

Shane Active Member

I'm sure Jason knows ways to avoid the Mounties eh :)

In all seriousness, I'm sure he knows what is involved.

18. cjd

cjd New Member

Take a vacation up there. It'll be cheaper...

19. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Somehow I highly doubt that... :wink:

20. Shane

Shane Active Member

You seen plane ticket prices or gas prices lately? I don't think so.

More enjoyable yes, cheaper no.