1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

I Would Like To See Gattaca on HD DVD

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Christopher Saunders, May 29, 2007.

1. I like this movie. I really like Uma Thurman. I wonder how long it will be until Gattaca is available on HD DVD?

All the Best

2. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I doubt the wait will really be very long it was one of the Early titles that became quite popular on DVD, so I would see them bringing it out in HD again fairly early on.

Max

3. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

I don't think it'll be on HD DVD for some time, it's a Sony title.

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I'll watch the Superbit upconverted to 1080p on the PS3.

Or 1080i on the HD-A2 in a pinch. :)

Hey Pete, did you make it to Costco yet?

- Steve

5. Max Yokell

I thought he meant in HD, I didn't see it as HD-DVD I was just thinking in HD, but yes peter is right, it won't be on HD-DVD even IMO, but shouldn't be a long wait on BLu Ray

6. Alfer

Alfer New Member

For a refresher Max...here's the title of the thread:

:wink: :lol:

7. Apparently I may have to settle for Gattaca on SD DVD.

All the Best

8. Max Yokell

Just Assimilate and buy a blu-ray player as well. :)

9. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Gattaca was due out a few months back, on BD, and was delayed. Rumored for later this year.

10. We will see what happens if I get an HD DVD player.

All the Best

11. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Get the BR player first. There's more and better films on BR over HD-DVD anyway.

12. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

No, but my local BJ's Wholesale has it for that same $249 price until 6/6 - I still have a couple of questions to ask about it, I will start a new thread. I just found that that I've been "volunteered" to run 5 special shows at the end of June, so that'll pay for it and a couple of discs :)

13. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

FYI, the latest discussion is that the HD-A2 can be found at Sam's Club for right around $230.

At this point I would not be surprised if the standalone HD DVD players surpassed PS3 sales for a time. Just remember that the studios are not going to decide the war. They will follow the consumers $$ like they always have if consumers choose HD DVD over BR.

14. Shane

Shane Active Member

Michael,
    I'd like to believe that is true but given how the studios are aligned I think its a pipe dream almost.

Disney is full on BR. They have not budged one bit and have strengthened their stance. Sony, Fox and MGM are all in bed together. No chance Fox will move which means MGM isn't moving.

Those are the 3 studios that matter.

Ron,
    I'd suggest that as well but if he is balking at the $230 for an HD DVD player standalone and the disc prices, he will faint if he looks at the BR prices long enough.

15. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

They were also "full on" DIVX.

For them it is a business. They will follow the money.

Sooner or later someone high enough at the studios is going to see how Blu-Ray is barely able to keep a software sales lead despite having more studio support, more CE support and the "killer app" of the PS3. The fact that Blu-Ray does not have a massive sales advantage means that consumers are going with HD DVD despite Sony, Fox and Disney pushing to try and make Blu-Ray the winner. With every HD DVD player sale, it becomes easier for some smart exec at Fox and/or Disney to realize that the quickest way to end the format war (and to open up the new revenue opportunity that a new HD format will bring) is to support both formats and let the consumer choose without the studios desperately trying to keep one format alive.