Ice Road Truckers

Discussion in 'TV Land' started by Paul Meade, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Paul Meade

Paul Meade Member

Form the History Channel site...

ICE ROAD TRUCKERS charts two months in the lives of six extraordinary men who haul vital supplies to diamond mines over frozen lakes that double as roads. The livelihood of many depends on these tenuous roads, which through the years have been responsible for the deaths of dozens of men.

Always prepared for the ice to give way under the weight of their trucks, these drivers put their lives and financial security of their families on the line in an exhilarating dash for cash. Beginning Sunday, June 17 at 10pm ET/PT, this adrenaline packed series reveals the raw, gripping quest of ice road truckers.

The desolate white landscape stretches as far as the eye can see in a world where the land meets the sky at an invisible horizon, just miles from the Arctic Circle. The fascinating, yet little-known ice road trucking industry, stationed just outside of Yellowknife in Canada's Northwest Territory, is responsible for supporting the diamond mines there. Canada now stands as the third largest diamond producer in the world, housing an industry that rakes in $1.9 billion a year.

The show is on Sundays at 10 on the History Channel.

I was debating if I felt like watching this show or not and my curiosty got the best of me. I actually enjoyed this show and it made my job not seem so bad. I was also interested since one of my brothers is a truck driver. I'm sure when he sees this show he won't complain about a haul to El Paso. I don't know if this will hold my interest for a long time but I will come back next Sunday.

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Has this been on before? I think I've seen parts of it...fascinating stuff.

- Steve

3. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

I used to go to university with a couple that were from Yellowknife...they used to be bussed to school on an Ice Road...I wish I'd watched that last night...

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

[spoiler:767765e42a]I saw most of it last night. A couple of interesting tidbits, the road engineers drill through the ice and pump water up to spray on the road surface, to make the it thicker. Also, as the truck travel over the road the ice flexes and sags, creating a bow wave in the water under the ice. If they go too fast the wave can cause the ice to buckle, allowing the trucks to possibly fall through.[/spoiler:767765e42a]