1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

If HD-DVD fails ...

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Colton, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

can the XBOX 360 HD player be firmware'd to play Blu-Ray discs? Possible?

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

If??

I kid!!! Relax hall monitors!

:)

3. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

Hehehehehehehe ... shhhhh! They'll hear you. 8)

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

On a more serious note...don't the two formats use completely different lasers so to me that would mean that you couldn't just toss in new software to make a 360 do Blu.

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

No they they both use blue lasers but they have different focal lengths (don't know if that's the right term) due to the data density differences. I think it would take a hardware mod to change that so my guess to colton's question is no.

6. cjd

cjd New Member

It'll still play existing HD-DVD's (which won't just go up in smoke) and DVD's of course. They've said they would do a BD drive if that format wins, I think.

C

7. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Well actually the existing HD-DVDs are set to go up in a puff of smoke within 10 days of Toshiba pushing a master control button signaling the end of the Format war. These discs were made with a double top secret sealant that will completely disintegrate them once they receive the signal.

Max

8. Alfer

Alfer New Member

:lol: :lol: