1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

I'm at a Loss

Discussion in 'Music Lounge' started by Ken McDaniel, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Since upgrading to a lossless-compatible digital music server/distribution system, I've undertaken the daunting task of ripping my several hundred CD's into Apple Lossless format. All I can say is, damn, this takes forever. I've been burning all my freetime, morning and night, ripping discs for three days straight.

Talk about monotony. :lol:

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Yeah, it sucks. That's why there are companies that charge for this service. That's also why I finally sprang for a backup hard drive and do nightly backups of all of my PC audio. If the hard drive crashed which has all my music on it, I'd be totally f'd.

3. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Why Apple format? Is this for IPOD compatibility?

Ditto what CJ said about backup.

4. CJ

I would speculate he's ripping with iTunes. That's what I do.

5. Ken McDaniel

Chris, great question. Two reasons: First, I like the iTunes format and have become very comfortable with it over the last year managing my iPod Nano. Second, my Sonos controller displays album art and information that is much more friendly with iTunes than many FLAC tags. It was simply a measure of laziness. I'm currently at about 50 gigs (200 or so CDs) and eventually I'll upload the whole shebang on a bigger iPod. I understand that FLAC is universal and Apple Lossless proprietary and thus greater subject to the whims of the corporate monster, but if worst comes to worst, I'll convert over to FLAC later.

6. Ken McDaniel

CJ, after reading your post last night, I went and picked up an external 320 GB drive. How are you backing up your data? Is it an automated system or are you just copy/pasting?

7. CJ

I'm using Genie Backup Manager which is $50 but you could probably use Windows Backup with the same effect. I'm scheduling it though, not doing that manually on a daily basis ;) But Genie allows you to backup across multiple DVDs easily as well. Which is nice because I still need to do that periodically. I.e. if we had a lightening strike or fire, we'd still be SOL.

8. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I did the same thing a few months back...got a big external HD for music and a big SATA internal for bbacked up movies.

9. Ken McDaniel

Update: finished uploading the remainder of the CD's. Great results. Even with analogue line outputs and Audioquest cables running through the A/V processor, the quality is noticeably better than the 196kHz MP3's and the Rhapsody streaming service.

Of course, I am going to purchase the player the digital outputs and probably an upsampling DAC just for giggles. The new house is going to kick ass.