1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

I'm going with lampcord speaker wire.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Ron-P, May 21, 2007.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Yep, it's true. Tomorrow I hit Home Depot for 100' of lampcord. I bought two rock speakers for the farther reaches of my back yard and they only came with about 60' of wire, not enough for both. So, I figure I'll use lampcord for now, it's rubber coated so should be semi-water proof.

2. NathanP

NathanP New Member

Isn't lamp cord cheaper anyway?

3. cjd

cjd New Member

I don't know, I'd be quite afraid i will make the sound too bright... ;)

4. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

If that's a concern, add a dimmer switch.

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Maybe I'll use Malibu low-voltage wire, it's weather proof for the most part, but more expensive. Too bad no one sells out-door speaker wire.

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I would perhaps consider something that is designed for outdoor use but I wouldn't spend a ton.

7. cjd

cjd New Member

Go ahead and use any wire designed for running power, as I know you can find that rated for burial. It's good copper and will do the job well. Being out-door specific is more important.

C

8. What cjd said.

Unless you are going to use sealed conduit to run the wire underground/outside, you should use some sort of cable made for industrial/outdoor use. My worry here is not so much with the sound via RockSpeakers but instead with the potential for water causing a short between + and - connections which might not be too good for your amp.

Let us know what you end up getting and Good Luck.

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt New Member

That?s what you should use, especially if this is long-term. It?s sunlight resistant and rated for direct burial.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

That's what I just picked up this morning, 100' for $17. It's stranded copper wire so there's no reason it shouldn't work perfectly.

11. Hi Wayne!
    It is nice to see that our local Houston area electician expert has made his way to the Lounge. Welcome! :)

12. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt New Member

Thanks for the kind words, John. :D

Regards,
    Wayne

13. I wish I could find 14 gauge white lampcord. 16 gauge is easy to find, but flat 14 gauge white lampcord is hard to find.

All the Best

14. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Well I can say that Malibu low-voltage wire makes for great speaker wire. Got it all hooked up and sounds great.

15. Chris White

Chris White New Member

What "rock" speakers do you have Ron?

16. Alfer

Alfer New Member

So do the Malibu's offer up a better soundstage Ron? :mrgreen:

17. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

They should sound great in the winter when the ground freezes and freezes the speaker wire. :twisted:

18. Eric

Eric Active Member

While I'm not the type to argue the merits of cryo-treating the speaker wire. I think if the ground freezes anywhere near Ron, he's going to have much more pressing issues to deal with.

19. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

OK, so maybe he'll have to wait till an ice age comes around..... :lol:

20. Eric

Eric Active Member

Actually, half the state of California will probably break free and sink in to the ocean before the next ice age. Not that I'm being argumentative or anything. :D