1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

I'm so proud <sniff>

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Ken McDaniel, May 10, 2007.

1. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

So we taking an afternoon from the office today to go to the Braves game. I'm taking my kids so they came into the office with me this morning. I brought the portable DVD player to help pass the time as we waited to head over to the game. The kids were watching the animated Ultimate Avengers. One of my coworkers noticed and said to my 6-year old daughter:

"You know, I have a new copy of Spiderman 3 I could give you."

To which she replied:

"I think that would be illegal."

Strong with the force that one is.

2. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus New Member

just warms the heart

3. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Attagirl!!

ALthough it's a bit sad to know that a government employee is openly trying to give another government employees family member a highly illegal copy of a movie.... :shock:

4. Ken McDaniel

Oh, you'll love this. It's legal. Soldiers are allowed to purchase items in the countries where they go. In this case we're talking Kuwait. Over there the bootlegs are legal. The only thing that's illegal for Soldiers to bring back are weapons and explosives. Copyrighted material, pirated or not, are exempt from this specifically when dealing with Soldiers. You're allowed to bring up to 10 foreign purchased movies through customs. A few of us frown on the practice but for the most part in this specific circumstance, there's nothing anyone can do with regards to Soldiers.

It's a shame but it's Federal Law.

5. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice! :lol:

6. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

:lol:

That is great!

7. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Very interesting Ken. So did your daughter like Spiderman 3?!

8. Ken McDaniel

Very much. Of course she's 6 and a huge Spiderman fan (as is my son). Corny works with her.

9. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

Taught your kids right.

Dad skipped a few lessons with me apparently.

10. brianca

brianca New Member

By that logic could a soldier legally bring back a pound of hash from amsterdam?

11. Buzz Goddard

Buzz Goddard New Member

I read what Ken posted, moved on, then thought about it somemore.
    Wow!
    I would love to see the weaseling and squigglin the MPAA would put forth if this was made a really public issue.

Arrest Pirates!
    Support our Troops!
    Arrest our Troops!
    :oops:

12. Buzz Goddard

Buzz Goddard New Member

A pound of hash is illegal in Amstedam...

13. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

but that doesn't really matter 'cause - get a load of this - if you get stopped by the cops in amsterdam, it's illegal for them to search you. I mean, that's a right the cops in amsterdam don't have.

:D

14. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

but that doesn't really matter 'cause - get a load of this - if you get stopped by the cops in amsterdam, it's illegal for them to search you. I mean, that's a right the cops in amsterdam don't have.

:D[/quote]

Awesome. I know where I am moving when I turn 18. :wink:

15. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

I'm going, that's all there is too it, I'm fucking going :lol:

16. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

Amen!

17. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Yeah baby, you'd digg it the most.

:D

18. brianca

brianca New Member

Ok. I'll rephrase. can a soldier return wtih something that is illegal to posses in the US if it was legal to posses in the country of purchase. Is possession alone of the bootleg illegal in the US?

19. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Follow up question, is the possession of the bootleg illegal in the U.S.? Or just the act of buying/selling? Your pre-supposing that it is, and my guess is that possessing it is not illegal in the US (unlike possession of marijuana) so therefore no laws have been broken. But I could be wrong.

20. brianca

brianca New Member

Excellent point. I should have included that question in my post. ;)