Image editing software

Discussion in 'The Photography Lounge' started by Chris Slade, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

So my kit is slowly building.

But I currently only have whatever ships with OSX for photo editing.

Let me be clear and say up front that I do not really enjoy photo editing. I am not a user who will love using photoshop and become an expert simply because I enjoy using the software.

Item #2 I am not interested in subscription based software. I hate and I really mean that monthly bills.

So I think full blown Photoshop is out. Elements is a possibility, as is Lightroom and anything else that might get the job done for reasonable cost.

I am not a user who will be sorting and editing hundreds of shots from weddings etc.

Options please. I can learn to use pretty much any software........ but I am not going to really enjoy it.

This software will be running on a high end iMac, not a windows machine.

2. Chris Slade

Maybe Acorn would even do it.

3. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

Lightroom is really good and fairly easy to use. I've also seen some folks using Affinity but I don't have any experience with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Lightroom is the best of breed by far. There are tools that slightly exceed it in a few areas (e.g. Capture One) but often at the cost of massively under-performing it in others (workflow, features, available plugins).

Right now there are two versions of Lightroom; LR6 and LR Creative Cloud. There is strong suspicion that Lightroom 6 will be the last "you buy it, you own it" perpetual license version. That isn't official from Adobe but there's a lot of evidence for it. LR CC is already out and there have been features added to it that could have been added a point release of LR6 and were not. I'd say the writing is on the wall but there is disagreement in the community. There will never be another perpetual license version of Photoshop, however. That IS official from Adobe.

If you think you'll use Photoshop at all, Creative Cloud is a steal. If you do the photography bundle you get LR and PS for $120 a year and you get feature drops instantly. If I just use a decade as an average, you'd pay $230 per year on average for JUST Photoshop. Otherwise you're still on Photoshop CS3.

Not directed at you, but the general photography community. I think the only real angry people are pirates. I pretty much guarantee you no working pro is upset about paying less (and they are, because they were always on the latest version for features) and few amateurs probably really paid for CS3, 4, 5, and 6 because that's like $2300 give or take. And if they did, they came out worse than $120 a year.

I get the sentiment of no more monthly bills but if you want to shell out $850 for PS and LR you're going to need to get a LOT of use out of them. Otherwise pay CC annually so you don't have another monthly hit to the credit card.

5. Chris Slade

Yeah I will buy the software not talking about pirating it, back in the day I would have, now all my gear is running on legit software, and it is just easier, no issues what so ever. I don't have car payments, just mortgage, internet, and netflix, and power and water I guess. I love having the low monthly bills. I do currently have xboxlive but I will not renew for another year. I just don't use it, which is what happens, I stop using the service and keep paying the bill.

Sure it is a better deal for people making money from the software, I won't. The current edition is likely all I'll ever need, I may need some basic video editing software. I just like the on time purchase price model. At work we can rent tools from Hilti, pay a yearly fee and always have good quality trouble free tools. I still just buy and own the tools we use. Just a personal thing.

6. Chris Slade

So you prefer Lightroom to Elements.....

7. Chris Slade

I guess it should not matter but I need a digital copy of the software, the iMac has no optical drive.

8. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Elements is like Photoshop lite lite lite. Lightroom is a completely different tool but IMO vastly superior for 90% of photographers. I would read this The Difference Between Photoshop and Lightroom Explained or google difference between Photoshop and Lightroom and find a couple articles. I would say Lightroom is for adjusting images with little editing while Photoshop is for heavy editing. Note that the most common edits do exist in Lightroom now. Things like spot healing for removing a pimple or sensor dust or removing an unwanted object from a solid background can all be done in LR. I actually use PS like .05% of the time. When I use it, its to do something that LR just flat out cannot do, but that's rare. Usually its something where I need layers. Or I'm doing more graphics work than photo editing. All the thumbnails on the YouTube channel videos for HTL were done in PS.

Dan Driscoll and Phil Rose like this.
  9. Chris Slade

I did some of that research since I last posted. the pro for Lightroom is I think I'd have less opportunity of making cheesy looking images, using cheesy tools.

So let's say I am settled on Lightroom and I guess iMovie (assuming that is in Sierra) for video stuff should I get into it.

10. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

iMovie is actually really competent. I cut all the YouTube videos with that.

11. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I use Light Room 5 through Adobe's Creative Cloud Subscription for $9.99 a month. This subscription will keep this application up to date, as well as access to other Programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects. I use Lightroom Mobile on my Tablet and Phone and IMO it's a step up from Snapseed. What I enjoy about the Mobile service is that I can easily take the SD Card out of my camera, place it in my Tablet, open up Light Room Mobile, and with an internet connection or mobile hotspot, I can edit on the fly, and this service will sync with my phone as well, without the need to have a Laptop or Desktop nearby.

Jason Lorette likes this.
  12. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I've thought about upgrading to CC for the mobile aspect, but my use case would be more the ability to upload photos off my camera to my PC and then on CC go through a shoot and cull photos from my phone. Then I can do adjustments later on from the PC. One of my biggest challenges in finalizing and publishing photos is that original cull. We recently took a 3 day weekend trip to KC and I took 900 photos. I haven't sat down to go through them and just tag and cull.

13. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

CJ, thank you for including that link. It is far and away the best explanation of the differences between PS & LR that I have seen.

CJ likes this.
  14. Chris Slade

Okay then, I'll watch that video this evening.

15. Rick

Rick Member

Check out the free software at www.paint.net.

16. Chris Slade

Just popping in to say, I have been using lightroom. I probably take less than 2 minutes per image for an edit. Having said that, I am very much a beginner, but the images comer out looking better than they went in.
    Image organization is a disaster.

17. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I could post some screenshots of my image organization if you want. I had to go through a "do it once" effort but now its really organized, logical, and quick when importing new photos.

18. Dan Driscoll

CJ, I'd like to see that.

Between health, family and work issues, along with moving from CA to FL, I haven't done much photography the past 2-3 years. But we're settling in now and I'm getting the urge to pull out my gear and start shooting again. Lots of good photo opportunities here; we're 3 miles from the airport, 5 miles from the Gulf and only a little further to some sites with lots of wildlife. I've got an old version of LR, but will probably subscribe to CC once I start shooting again.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  19. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

So what I do is keep a fairly hierarchical but not overly complex filing system. Everything that is photography related (vs. just pictures. The example being just random shots I take to sell something on eBay) goes into my CJ Photography folder. Inside that, everything fits into 6 subfolders. EVERYTHING.
    • Events and Activities - This includes things like all of the 1st days of school, and non vacation events like a local festival, a wedding, baptism, going to the park, etc.
    • Holidays
    • Landscapes, Things, and Still Life - A lot of miscellaneous stuff that isn't people, events, etc. Some of the folders here are just years so that means I can find a walk about with random picture of fall leaves pretty easily still. If its a very particular subject that I shoot more than once it gets a folder. Otherwise its just the year.
    • People - Main groups are Candids and Portraits. Some subjects have their own folder if I shoot them over and over or if it was a special photo shoot.
    • Places, Vacations, and Trips - Specific trips... napa, Disney, Chicago, etc. Not just going to the park or some event.
    • Wildlife
    Once you get into a folder like People -> Portraits, I usually just use the default date format. Because when I'm going back I know I'm looking of more formal (not candid) pictures of my kids from the fall a few years ago. So I just go into People -> Portraits -> 2015. Its pretty easy. It works really well with holidays too. Want to find the 2015 Halloween photos? Holidays -> Halloween -> 2015.

Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 11.32.00 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 11.30.43 AM.png

Dan Driscoll likes this.
  20. Dan Driscoll

Nice & simple, I like that. Thanks for posting.