1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Intelectual Property Protection Act.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by CJ, May 15, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Wow, the industry is really hellbent on shooting itself in the foot. This legislation, if passed would add penalties for attempted violation and increase the already draconian scope of the DMCA. This is only a few weeks after Kaleidoscape won a judgment declaring that it is NOT illegal to rip a DVD to a media server. So how does all of this stuff sort out? I REALLY don't have a problem with strict anti-piracy laws but half of this stuff seems in conflict. So if this passes are we back to NOT being able to rip a DVD to a media server? I'll also be curious to see what constitutes attempted copyright violation. If I browse to torrentspy.com is that attempted copyright violation? If I'm not SURE if a CD is copy protected and I try to rip it to iTunes like EVERY other CD I buy is THAT attempted copyright violation?

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9719339-7.html

2. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Wow, just wow. I really like how the get Homeland Security involved. As if we didn't already spend enough of our dollars chasing terrorists.

3. CJ

I'm sure this is going to turn into "CJ doesn't respect IP" which isn't true. There are so many ways this law will be abused. Take the DMCA and multiply it x10. Hell, they could even pass it and I'd be fine if they'd apply the same penalties to people who attempt to abuse it like these bullshit youtube takedown notices and other scattershot bullying techniques. Put some onus on the other side of the fence for crying out loud.

4. Buzz Goddard

Buzz Goddard New Member

Probably not, but if you aren't very careful at some point you may have iTunes updated on you and you won't uncheck a default tick box for copyright protection and then knock knock knock....

5. brianca

brianca New Member

It's not really that big a step forward. Pretty much any other crime includes conspiracy and attempted penalties, so I don't suppose this should be any different. The big effect from a legal standpoint is allowing sting operations. Most sting operations are based on attempt and conspiracy laws since the target of the sting is rarely allowed to follow through with the intended act. There are some interesting supreme court cases dealing with drug stings where the government does something like hang out on the corner selling baby powder and arresting people for trying to buy crack. Since the intended act never took place and was, in fact, impossible, what are the legal implications.

Interesting stuff legally, but I don't think it's a huge leap forward in the laws, and it doesn't appear to have any bearing on the Kaleidoscape unless they addressed that specifically in a way that wasn't mentioned in the article.

6. Chris White

Chris White New Member

If you rip a CD, the terrorists win! :)

This is a rather amazing part of the proposed legislation:
    I can't help but think that a "software pirate" will not fare well in the prison shower.

7. brianca

brianca New Member

Of course you have to kill someone with your pirated software for that to apply, but it sounds better to leave that out of the summary. ;)

8. owkone

owkone New Member

You rip a CD or DVD you torrize the industry execs. so that they have live like the avergae Joe. What's so difficult?

9. CJ

Yep, which isn't going to apply to ANY average person. The example given was using pirated software on a medical system.

10. I think we need more laws which restrict the comsumers ability to do what they want in the privacy of their home with the stuff they legally buy.
    I think Homeland Security should start setting up stings to catch people who remove those furniture tags when they get the furniture home. That'll teach folks who to buy brand name furniture and expect to do with it what they want in their homes. :D

11. owkone

owkone New Member

Yep, that's where it starts -proverbial camel's nose under the tent.

12. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

i generally support every effort to strengthen IP protection, but these provisions:

are entirely too overreaching, IMO.

13. brianca

brianca New Member

I think the first goes back to my sting argument.

I like the use of the second in the drug war, so I support it here as well. If you're using your computer to do something illegal, you lose it. Fine by me.

14. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

You guys have some serious problems down there. Of course we have our own, The New Democrats.