Interesting - iPhone

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Drew, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/07/06/12/1922232.shtml

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Maybe the software that COMES on the phone is the killer application?

3. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I am not so sure.

I have seen platforms with a strong SDK not take off because consumers have not embraced them as much as the market leader. Likewise, I have seen third party software (and hardware) vendors bend over backwards to make their products work with a device that the consumer has embraced.

4. Drew

Maybe not.

5. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Maybe so. Where's the killer app for iPods? There are some hacks but their usage is probably an tiny tiny percentage. The killer app IS the device.

6. Drew

It's the little canon shooter game we used to play on the Apple II. 8)

7. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Not so much. Have you seen the PocketPC software coming out on HTC devices soon? Pretty much works just like the iPhone. And the capability was already there on the PocketPC platform as well. All the iPhone did was slap a different user interface on it. I don't see how that's a sustainable competitive advantage.

Perhaps some other features on the platform would have a better argument for "killer". But just the software? Meh.

8. RicP

RicP New Member

Really? Which PocketPC's are supporting touch-sensitive screens and gesture based and orientation based navigation?

9. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

The "sustainable competitive advantage" for me is the combination of phone and iPod and PDA functionality with Outlook sync. Now I can carry one device while traveling, not two. And yes, I know that PocketPC devices and lots of phones have MP3 capability, but this is just not the same thing as being an iPod when all my music is ripped using iTunes in Apple Lossless format. :) My iPhone is on pre-order.

10. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I only have a very passing interest in this simply because the lone carrier has unacceptable service here.

11. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

The key for me is integration with Exchange. Both PPC based phones and Blackberries (with BES) support this very nicely. I still haven't seen anything indicating this type of integration is native (or can be added) to the iPhone, although I haven't been looking too hard to find out.

Everything else is a bell/whistle for me. :)

Graeme

12. Eric

Eric Active Member

I read a blurb stating that it does integrate with exchange for calendar functions. Mail-wise, you're out of luck.

13. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

I don't se the iPhone selling as much because of any one software function, but because of how easy it appears to use. Heck, I want one just because it looks incredibly cool. Too bad it's only on AT&T, I'm with Verizon- and will continue to be.

14. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

That would be strange, if it can pull calendar info doing mail/contacts/tasks/notes would be just as easy. With Apple who knows where they are at, but without easy Exchange/Lotus integration Apple won't make a lot of headway into the business markets.

15. Drew

Interfacing with outlook is different than interfacing and connecting to exchange, no?

16. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

Yes, with a PPC or Blackberry one basically never needs to connect their phone and PC together, the Exchange server/device pushes all mail/calendar/contacts/notes/tasks back to the other.

So when I'm out walking around the mall I get all my e-mail, if I get an email with a meeting request, I accept on the spot and it's already in my phone, in my outlook at work, etc.

17. Drew

Right, so synching to a PC is easy. Companies have been doing it for years (palm, handspring, etc). What's special/hard about having a mobile device interface with exchange that Apple decided not to do so? Obviously the business word (treo, blackberry, etc.) is big business.

18. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

It's Microsoft ;)

Palm has a few various hacks for doing DirectPush and supposedly they will have full support for it this year as they've lost a lot of business to BlackBerry. They've been selling Palm enabled phones for quite some time, so it's obviously not the easiest thing to deal with on their end. Same with Blackberry, you need to run a 3rd party application to make Exchange work with a Blackberry device. Windows mobile devices can do it directly (at least for the past couple of years).

19. Drew

Touche.

20. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Here's one...

http://krakow.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/06/06/215782.aspx
    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-6190580.html
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/carroll/?p=1711

Not sure why you are thinking that a touch-sensitive screen is revolutionary. I use my fingers to dial with my T-Mobile MDA today. As for the scrolling functionality in the iPhone--it's cool, but it's not more than a click and drag. Nothing there the PocketPC platform will not support. I saw demos of the same scrolling functionality on a PocketPC a couple weeks after the iPhone, but I can't find the video. Like I said, though: cool, but hardly a sustainable competitive advantage.