Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Denton, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Chris Nolan's big statement science fiction flick has a fine cast and looks great. It runs well over 2 hours but did not drag so I didn't feel like it ran looonnnnggg. Sadly, I've got mixed feelings about this movie. I hope others will share their reactions to it.

BTW, I saw the 35 MM Film (!) version.
  2. Allen

Allen New Member War Zone Member

I liked the previews, so I plan to see this.
  3. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

well, of course you have some reservations....
    it NEEDS to be seen in 70mm 3D...scheech!

I like these sorta films... I intend to see it.
    Of course I'll try & see it in IMAX 3D. it has
    been getting mixed reviews. regardless I'll go see it.

So, Denton what were your reservations...PLOT holes?
  4. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member War Zone Member

I thought it was very good. The issue I think I may have had is that it tries too hard to balance science/physics with emotions/love. Technically awesome and I thought it was much better and involving than Gravity and the uncredited "bad guy" was fun. Once you figure out the physics of the movie I felt the narrative lost something.
  5. Carl V

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana"

it's all relative...they say.

if you know now what you knew then
  6. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Excellent film. But not outstanding. Great fx, top notch acting for the most part, with some that wasn't so, but IMO about a half hour too long. Could have been tightened up a lot. And some obvious references to other well known SF films. My biggest complaint, too loud score and bass, to the point of blocking out dialog. Whether intentional or not, I don't know, but i didn't get the chance to hear for myself. As for the bass, I do like a lot, but I don't need to have it so loud that it seems like I'm strapped to the rocket engine being depicted. Some passages might show up on a seismograph. Blocky robot was kinda cool though.
  7. Allen

Terrific eye candy in a sci-fi/space sense, compelling score, interesting story (if you can suspend all knowledge of science and physics - par for the course with Hollywood).

McConaughy has turned into a terrific actor these last several years - this is no exception.
  8. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

I finally saw Interstellar with the family over the weekend.
    We drove out to Sacramento to see it in real I-(not-LIE-)MAX- in 70mm (film!) at the Esquire theater near the State Capitol.

The entire family enjoyed it except for my 7 year old, who was bored pretty quickly. :)
    I went in basically spoiler-free, but with some knowledge of the mixed reactions from critics and fans alike.

I consider it a flawed masterpiece. It's not 2001: A Space Odyssey, but it owes Kubrick a debt of gratitude, in addition to many other sci-fi films and make no mistake: books (Asimov, Niven, Gene Wolfe, etc...). It was overtly, but IMO not overly, emotional, yet simultaneously cold as ice, as most of Nolan's films tend to be. But I ate it all up and want to go back and see it again.

There are some issues, and of course the film veers heavily into sci-fi fantasy in the third act, but that's to be expected from a film about the unknown.

If you are a sci-fi fan, you simply have to see it, and the home theater setting simply isn't good enough. Not even close.
    Go find a real IMAX theater that is playing it (preferably a giant sized IMAX 70mm film presentation!) and just revel in the awesomness. This pretty much defines a "must see in a proper theater" type of experience.

Two big thumbs up, "flaws" be damned.:tu::tu:

P.S. Time is running out for IMAX. The final Hobbit installment is being released in another 10 days, and that will be the end of the line for Interstellar on those screens....
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2014
  9. Dennis Pagoulatos

As an update, after reading a lot of online fan speculation about certain plot points in the movie, I may be heading out to the IMAX in Sacto to see it one more time this weekend. Without spoiling anything, let's just say there are some interesting theories out there about what happens in the 3rd act.
  10. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

Which parts did you think threw out physics? I just read several interviews with the physicist who consulted on the movie. Pretty much everything except the final part appears to be based quite closely on current science (or at least, does not directly violate known science, even if it does veer into "we have no evidence, but it's theoretically possible" territory in multiple places). I have no opinion on the science myself, I gave up trying to understand relativity and quantum mechanics sometime in college :)

I loved the movie. I was in tears by the end. And I tend to by very cynical going into movies with any amount of hype. I can't remember the last time I was this moved by a movie (ha!).
  11. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

I'll wait for Netflix.
  12. Allen

No way could they still dock with the space station, nor would it have stayed intact and in orbit after the kind of explosion that had occurred.

I know there were other plot points too, but that's the big one I remember off the top of my head.

I still loved it - great story, more heart than any sci-fi I can remember, and a visual feast.
  13. Allen

Worth seeing on a big screen, David.
  14. Saurav

Ah, OK. Yes, that was one of the action-ey bits :)
  15. Carl V

Gravity will be good at home via netflix,
    however on the BIG screen it envelopes-engulfs-overwhelms.
    Which was the Directors intention.

Interstellar is the same sorta experience. imho. whether you
    are equally enchanted is hard to say.
  16. Saurav

I thought Gravity was more of a big-screen visual feast than Interstellar. Or maybe I was more drawn into the story in Interstellar, and thus didn't notice the visuals as much.
  17. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

I could not sit through almost 3 hours of space-opera sci-fi these days. I lost most of my interest in the genre long ago.
  18. Dennis Pagoulatos

100% agree.
    I will say this- it starts as hard sci-fi, but as in 2001, veers into speculative fiction territory in the 3rd act, but I thought it worked beautifully. Docking with the damaged ship was amazing, but not what I would call "unbelievable", especially if you've suspended disbelief for that long already. :lol:
    Fantastic movie and one that will not have quite the same effect in a home theater setting.

And not that it matters really, but I found most of Gravity to be even more unbelievable than most of the unbelievable things in Interstellar. :)
  19. Allen

True. And that's why I said this was a really enjoyable movie, IF you can suspend all reality of physics and science at some point.
  20. Dennis Pagoulatos

Yes, it's a leap of...faith, ahem, that the audience needs to make. I feel that Nolan earned it with all of the world-building and setup earlier in the film, so I was all-in for the ending! :)