1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Is this OK? Or Should I just wait....

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Max Yokell, Jun 12, 2007.

?

You have taken your whole family to a movie and plan to get the DVD when it comes out

1. Its OK to D/L it off the net to give your 2 1/2 year old a Piderman fix

100.0%
  2. Nope Doesn't matter D/Ling movies is wrong even if they do eventually get the money

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Active Member War Zone Member

Interesting Topic came up at the homestead last night.

My 2 1/2 year old Noah has fallen hard for Piderman and wants nothing more the to watch Piderman movies and cartoons 24/7. As of now we have Piderman Goblin (1) and Piderman Doc (2) and Piderman Cartoons (A collection of 80s/90s? cartoons with one classic 67 toon) and it is getting a bit monotonous seeing the same DVDs over and over again. I can honestly say that Piderman 1&2 have played at least 15 times each since last thursday.

OK We even took the family to Piderman Grande (HEy my kid is learning spanish since he was born and that was what he called 3 at the movie theater) and he was mostly good when the was action scenes on. Noah it turns out is sort of like Ron P and at 2 1/2 he is a complete and total action junkie. It was funny because at the theater he finally put together that Peter Parker and Spiderman were the same and he started calling out during the lulls in action that he was Piderman and shouting Mask Off so others would know this was Piderman with his mask off. :) I almost had to remove him a couple times but it did not seem to bother the crowd and others were laughing at him in the packed theater. SO there is the final action scene and he is on my lap and all wound up and as soon as the scene came to a close his adrenaline high crashed and he fell asleep in my lap.

Oh yeah back to last night. A friend of Ian's was over and there were jokes about being bored with the Piderman DVDs we currently have and couldn't wait until the 3rd movie was on DVD. So his friend says we should D/L it off the net and he is all ready to show us how. I told him we would not be doing that with my PC and I don't approve of pirating.

The kid is quick and came back with Hey what is the big deal you took 5 people to see it in the theater and you plan to buy the DVD when it comes out just you will have something to hold you over in the meantime till the DVD comes out. I was impressed with the kids rationalization but I didn't bite.

Which leads me to the following poll....

2. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

You already know the answer.

3. Max Yokell

Yes I do, but I wanted to see if little Reece's argument could have swayed others here.

Max

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Max I think ya know how this will turn out... :wink:

I know several folks who do this a lot via the "overseas" sites.

Me I can wait vs. the hassles of doing it online....but I wouldn't be 100% opposed to doing it if the need really arose.

:D

5. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

The real question is whether your argument could sway little Reece!

:D

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

The argument struck a chord for about five seconds and then I realized that ignoring the issue of principal, which is NOT trivial, this is still not a victim less crime. If your family really wants to see the movie again, you need to pay to see it in theaters. Let me ask you this, you don't want to wait, but would it be OK if you broke into the DVD warehouse and stole a copy and then sent them $20 in an envelope? No. Either go back to the theaters or wait. But you know this, this is just an interesting discussion about how a child's mind works IMO.

7. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

What you are suggesting is a violation of copyright law; there is no "I'm going to buy it eventually" clause which negates that fact.

8. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Hmmm...I haven't downloaded a movie myself, but I've watched plenty that were downloaded by others (as I suspect we all would, no matter how much we say we wouldn't)...that begs to another question:

Max....what if Reece took it upon himself to download it and brought it to you...just to be nice...and it gave you another weapon in your Piderman Arsenal until the DVD came out in stores...what then?

;)

Jason

9. Max Yokell

Jason,
    I still wouldn't be tempted, and in fact would not and have not ever to my knowledge watched a downloaded movie.

I did have a pirated copy of the SW Trilogy and Indiana Jones and I got just what I deserved, they were unwatchable IMO.

Max

10. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

I'm curious as to exactly what "need" there might be for downloading a movie. "Want" I understand, "need" doesn't make sense to my poor little brain. ;)

11. Max Yokell

What it comes down to is Theft is Theft and it doesn't matter if you offer to pay later.

Max

12. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Yep. Because its their right to decide when and how to sell it. Its not your right to say I'll take it, but pay you for it any more than you could take my car and deposit money in my account. BTW, I'm sure you could buy the movie for home viewing now if you wanted to pay for a 35mm print and a projector :D

13. NathanP

NathanP New Member

I'm sorry, but I'm poor. Download it. paying $$$ for anything sucks.

14. NathanP

NathanP New Member

Gotta love my generation

15. Max Yokell

Wow those good Christian values went right out the window?

Max

16. cjd

cjd New Member

Color me not surprised...

17. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Watch it Chris. That didn't come across as light-hearted as you may have intended.

It's not a matter of right or wrong. It's illegal. That makes it like smoking pot. Not matter how you rationalize it, it's illegal.

18. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Bad Nathan.

That's like saying you can go to the mall and just take anything you want, because you're poor- which, by the way, you (nor anyone else here) are not poor. Just because we cannot always afford wants, it does not mean we are entitled to own them anyway. In fact we are only entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness- not to any material goods.

Nathan, I truly hope you are joking, you are held to a higher standard.

Chris- Be nice. :wink:

19. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

I'm pretty sure he is joking.

One other point is that with the distributed downloading schemes (Bitorrent etc.) normally used to distribute this stuff, the more people D/L, the easier it is for others to D/L. So the simple act of D/Ling = supporting other D/Lers.

Graeme

20. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Ummm...no in Canada...downloading is not yet illegal....as for pot, well, give us time...we've made it legal to grow it for 'medicinal' reasons ;)

Jason

PS> Disclaimer: I am not saying it's right to download, just as defined by law it is yet to be illegal in Canada as is downloading music not yet illegal.