1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Is this wrong to do?

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Stefan, May 24, 2007.

1. Stefan

Stefan Active Member War Zone Member

My friend just e-mailed me asking if I would drive up his ebay auction to just below the reserve. I don't really understand why he didn't just make his reserve price the minimum bid. But it still has 5 days and he wants over $1000 on it. The current bid is in the 500's. Can I get introuble for doing this? Is it unethical?

Stefan

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Yes you can get in trouble.

That being said...way back when Ebay first started my friend and I would bump up bids for each others auction way before there were rules against it...helped get a bit more $$$. :)

3. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Can you get into trouble? I really don't know. Is this ethical, NO. If your friend is worried about not getting enough, he should withdraw it, and relist later for a higher reserve. IMHO.

4. Stefan

Randy - the issue is that he just wants it to sell. He wants me to bid $5 under his reserve price. This way, I wouldn't be responsible for buying it, but it will get others to keep bidding until it hits the reserve.

Stefan

5. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Still illegal by Ebay rules I believe...go check their rules or help area. If you have no intention of buying the item, you are not supposed to bid.

6. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

a old Jewish expression goes something like:
    "if you have to ask...it ain't Kosher"

You're asking because you have a gut feeling you're
    doing something sneaky & under the table...& you're not
    real sure if it's ethical.

Good luck to you in your choice.

7. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Found it on Ebay:

8. Stefan

You are right, I do feel that way. Yet I am trying to justify it because I want to help out my friend. After reading all the rules on ebay about "shill bids", this exact situation is not addressed. If I place a bid for $5 under reserve, someone would have to bid the reserve amount to win it. They knew the price they were bidding and they felt it was worth it. All I did was provide a bit of encouragement.

Stefan

9. Alfer

Alfer New Member

You artificially inflated the price (and had no intent to buy)...illegal by Ebay standards...if you are still confused or concerned, you should just click on the "Live Chat" help section of Ebay and ask the customer service person their thoughts...wanna guess what their answer will be?

:)

10. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

I say don't do it. Besides, there are 5 days left? Why is he sweating it? Most veteran EBayers don't bid until the final few seconds, and if there is a reserve he won't get less than he wants...

11. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

339100651_fe71c7a89f_m.jpg

"Do it! Don't be such a pussy! What's the big deal? Who's gonna care? C'mon!"

12. Shane

Shane Active Member

I definitely wouldn't do it. Tell him to relist the item with the reserve $5 under what he wants to sell the item at.

13. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

What Shane said, 1000x. Don't use reserves, they're dumb. eBay is a pretty good marketplace from an economic perspective. Its not perfect but its better than most people can do without going to great extremes. I either set my opening bid low or set it at my minimum I want for the item. I find the former actually results in higher sales prices.

14. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Oh, hell no.

Let me think about it again.......

Nope, still bad idea.

15. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Active Member

another vote for no shill bidding.

i did it once some time ago, and nothing bad came of it, but it didnt feel right.

i list damn near everything i sell at .99 opening bid. kinda makes you nervous at first, but ive never been burned and usuially get about what i had in mind for the item.

ive tried reserves, and higher starting bids, and the low start open auction works best.

16. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Plus it's cheaper as far as listing fee's go.. :wink: :)

I'm not brave enough to for example list a $200 at a starting bid of .99 cents...I don't like taking chances that it's a slow week and the highest bid ends up being say $50. I'd rather invest a bit more in the fees end and have my bids start at the lowest price I'll take for the item.

17. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Do some research and see how auctions for similar items finish. If your item is likely to generate a lot of interest, a low starting bid always works well. If it's something that will likely appeal to only that "special" buyer, make it "Buy It Now" or make your opening bid your bottom acceptable price. Sometimes you have to list such items four or five times before the right buyer comes along, but in my experience they eventually always do.

18. Erik

Erik Member War Zone Member

Yes, it is wrong, and kind of defeats the purpose of an auction. If he wanted a certain amount he should have just made it a buy it now posting.

19. Stefan

He did make buy it now an option. Anyway, I told him I wasn't going to do it.

Stefan

20. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Attaboy!

:D