1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

It Was Forty Years Ago Today...

Discussion in 'Music Lounge' started by Steve Tannehill, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member

Sgt. Pepper Taught The Band To Play!

June 1, 1967--The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was released.

I know what I'll be listening to tonight!

- Steve

2. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Right you are, Steve! I was a nerdy 14 year old when my hands first grasped that record. I spent quite a bit of time looking at the cover and identifying the people found there. The LP had the lyrics printed on it, an unusual if not new idea (?) at the time. And careful study of those lyrics revealed much...

The Beatles had announced the end of their live shows the year before. SPLHCB can be seen as a "live" performance turned, as it were, on its head. Early on there are crowd noises and then the band introduces themselves. There is irony in the line "You're such a lovely audience we'd love to take you home with us". In truth, the listener had to take them home to enjoy this performance. And what a performance it was! Highly original recording effects achieved on 4 track analog. Widely varying songs are followed by a reprise of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", which concludes the ersatz performance. The audience is then returned to the reality of everyday life with "A Day In the Life" ('I read the news today, oh boy').

Or so it seemed at the time. 8) :mrgreen: :thinking:

3. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member

I maybe the only one, but I just don't get it. I coworker talk about the other during lunch. He told all the details around the record. He went to his office came back and let me his pride and joy. I listen to it once and I said to myself, I don't get it. Some tunes just hurt my ears. I said to myself, maybe it is an acquired taste, so I forced myself to listen to the cd for 2 days straight.

I am just going to be point blank and say, I can't stand it.

4. Allen

Allen New Member War Zone Member

You may be the only one, Jerry. :wink:

I heard a few cuts of SPLHCB tonight on NPR when they went over the anniversary news and the context of that album in the Beatles' history while I helped the wife fix dinner.

Two things:
    1) I immediately felt like I was 14 years old again, and
    2) I was reminded what a great album that was, since every tune they played cuts from I could sing along or hum to - famous, familiar stuff.

5. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Active Member War Zone Member

Jerry may have just committed a violation punishable by banning I will have to read over the charter again. It was that or I think Colton gets to whip his but forty times with a wet noodle, but not his own wet noodle.

Max

6. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member

I will admit, I don't care for the beatles either. I have tried to like them but I just can't.... I don't like Elvis either.

7. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Jerry and Chad must be flogged.

Chck the June "what's spinning" opener too.

8. Steve Tannehill

You know, I was fourteen when I listened to the album for the first time. I checked it out of the library.

- Steve

9. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Yea, I actually wasn't born yet when it came out but I like oldies.

8)

10. Steve Tannehill

Riiiiggght. :)

I was conceived the week The Beatles appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show.

Don't ask me how I know this.

- Steve

11. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

god i'm getting old - i'm holding my Sergeant Pepper CD that i bought 20 years ago today (they released it on CD for the first time on 6/1/87, the 20th anniversary of the original album release and i remember going to the store expressly to get it that day).

sheesh. :(

12. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

I will never forget the Spring of '67 as it marked the release of what would prove to be two of the most significant albums of modern times: SPLHC and "Are You Experienced?"

13. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Hmmm, I was -8 years old. I've heard a lot of the tracks from SPLHC, but may have to pick up the album to get the full experience.

14. This is actually the only Beatles album proper I own (I also have 1967-70 and Love). My parents had the mono vinyl, I bought the CD when it first came out in -87.
    Great stuff!

15. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Member

Hey, Jerry, don't feel too bad. I enjoyed Sgt. Pepper when it came out, but I only have one Beatles CD, Revolver. I never had any inclination to get the rest of them.

16. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

I stood outside the Value Village the day this was released and bought the album unheard. If course I was in a walker at the time, I was only one you know.

17. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

If you do not own a copy of both Sgt. Peppers & RU Experianced?, then I cannot relate to you completely and we will never be fully in synch...

:D

18. TimB

TimB New Member

I was only 11 then, but with the benefit of an older sister. I was listening to Dylan, Hendrix, Stones, Blues Project (Danny Kalb, Al Kooper, Steve Katz) ... was 'too cool' for the Beatles, it was too 'Top 40' - until Sgt Peppers. Maybe the first art-rock album, or at least the first one I heard. Allowed me to better appreciate the Beatles other work, and started me down the art rock road, which I loved for some time.

Jerry, Jack and Chad ... you need to go to Vegas and catch 'Love' at the Mirage. And if you still don't like the Beatles, at least you can enjoy the second biggest Margarita I've ever had :D

Jack, come full circle, huh? :D

19. Steve Tannehill

Yes! I am seeing it for the third time in July. I can't wait!

- Steve

20. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Member

Never mind that! Where did you have the biggest Margareta you ever had?

'Bout time this thread discussed something important.