1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

iTunes Plus.

Discussion in 'Music Lounge' started by Joe Q, May 30, 2007.

1. Joe Q

Joe Q Member War Zone Member

You can now download 256 kbps DRM-free tunes for $1.29 each with iTunes version 7.2. I wonder, dollar wise, where that would put the eventuality of 1411 kbps downloads. Will people buy it for the higher bit rate or the the fact that it's DRM free? I vote for the latter.

2. Eric

Eric Active Member

I vote for the latter as well, though in this crowd I think you'd get a bunch going for the better quality if they released them as Apple Lossless.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Yeah, if they released apple lossless without DRM I'd be all over that! I have no use for physical disks to be honest and have started downloading some music from Music Giants.

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member

Wow, the upgrade process has been painless.

On the first start of iTunes 7.2, it analyzed my iTunes library. On the first visit to the iTunes store, I clicked on the iTunes Plus graphic, and it took me to a page with a button which offered a $15.30 upgrade of the 81 tracks it found. This was $3 for each of five albums (which clearly had more than 10 tracks each) and $0.30 for the single track. I decided to upgrade.

After clicking on a new terms of service, the download started. The tracks range from 7-10 megs, fully twice of what they were before. The sound quality is outstanding--I will have to stream to the real stereo to see if it packs more of a punch than lossy 128Kbps AAC.

The old tracks are retained in a folder; after some comparisons, I will most likely delete them.

Cool beans!

- Steve

5. Joe Q

Joe Q Member War Zone Member

Yes, I opted to upgrade a few choice tracks for comparison purposes and really like the results. Not perfect, but much, much better than the standard 128 kbps. If I wasn't such an audio snob, I'd stop buying ceedees altogether! :D