1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

*January Monthly Movie Drawing: Deepwater Horizon*

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by CJ, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

61Tyg4f-ptL.jpg

1) Any registered member of Home Theater Lounge is eligible to win the monthly drawing.
    2) To enter you must answer the question: What is your favorite disaster movie?
    3) Members may win up to 2 drawings per year.
    4) The winner will receive the movie being offered in that month's drawing, no substitutions or gift cards.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  2. murrayb

murrayb Active Member War Zone Member

Ishtar....wait, that's a disaster of a movie. For a disaster movie, my favourite would be Towering Inferno, with Airport and Airplane! nipping at its heel.

3. CJ

I really like The Poseidon Adventure (the 1972 version, I think there was a remake). In hindsight that's a terrible name for a move in which hundreds of people die.

4. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

I have to say there are lots of great disaster movies. 'San Andreas' in Dolby Atmos would be my favorite. The special effects combined with the sound are wonderful. I have 2 Atmos capable systems each which can also do 3D. The Dolby Atmos is the best I've heard so far.

5. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

There are so many...hmmm.

Dante's Peak is definitely up there for me.

I love 2012 simply for Woody Harrelson's character alone, and I always like "The Day After Tomorrow" too.

6. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

The Abyss. Long version.

PS: After seeing the original Poseidon Adventure in the theater back then I had a terrible crush on Pamela Sue Martin for a couple years. :)

CJ, there was a remake, kinda sucked. Better fx, but terrible script and acting.

7. CJ

Randy I saw the remake. It was made in a modern mold, it sucked. The original is classic in my mind but also not objectively a masterpiece by any stretch. But the characters brought to life by Hackman and Winters in particular... oh man!

8. ellisr63

ellisr63 New Member

My favorite Disaster movie is San Andreas.

9. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

CJ, can you help define "Disaster Movie"? I only ask because I looked at Wikipedia as a quick reminder of relevant films and a whole ton of stuff could be considered as disaster movies... or not. That list includes stuff like Edge of Tomorrow, Terminator (1, 2, etc), Independence Day, Oblivion, The Abyss, even the Matrix. But you might classify most of those as Sci Fi too.

10. CJ

Huh, interesting question. Certainly it won't impact the drawing (that is, I would never disqualify an answer) but its worth pondering. I would use this definition: A disaster film is a film genre that has an impending or ongoing disaster as its subject and primary plot device. Such disasters include natural disasters such as floods, earthquakes or asteroid collisions, accidents such as shipwrecks or airplane crashes, or calamities like worldwide disease pandemics. The films usually feature some degree of build-up, the disaster itself and sometimes the aftermath, usually from the point of view of specific individual characters or their families.

So by that logic, Terminator and the Matrix don't qualify (IMO) and a few others you mention would be pushing it. Day After Tomorrow would qualify though as it is a natural disaster.

11. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

I was almost going to ask if natural disaster was really the target.

I'd list Oblivion if it weren't pushing the limits :). Yes there was some invasion, but then supposedly the destruction of the moon and then use of nukes.

A simple answer would otherwise be that I recently enjoyed San Andreas even though you couldn't get much more unbelievable. Sure, race an inflatable boat through lots of heavy debris and then crash it through a building completely unscathed ;).

12. CJ

Again, I'll consider that your entry for sure. I'm not looking to disqualify any answers on some kind of technicality, just answering the question. But I don't consider Oblivion to be a "disaster movie". The point of a disaster movie is typically that the disaster is happening and the characters are trying to survive and that is central to or essentially IS the entire plot. Also the film typically ends with some but not all of the main characters "coming out the other side" of the disaster and there is hope for their and mankind's ultimate survival. So San Andreas, Titanic, Deep Impact, Dante's Peak, Airport etc. In Oblivion the invasion is over as is the nuking of earth as a response. Oblivion is more post apocalyptic sci-fi.

13. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

I mentioned Oblivion but knew is was basically the same as all of the others and then listed San Andreas as an obvious natural disaster movie that I did enjoy.

No worries about whether or not anything qualified as an entry ;)

14. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Active Member War Zone Member

I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet, but I'd say Armageddon. Bruce Willis and his team of characters are just fun and who doesn't like a screaming ballad from Steven Tyler and Aerosmith? :2tu:

15. CJ

I think Armageddon gets a bad rap. Like its soooooo unrealistic. Really? No shit Sherlock. Thanks for letting me know, get out of my face. Anyone who picks apart the "scientific realism" of this movie needs a swift kick in the nuts.

16. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Active Member War Zone Member

I agree CJ. I will say the final scenes on the asteroid got a little much even for me, but it didn't make the film any less fun.

17. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

I thought about it actually ;)

18. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

19. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

I almost said Armageddon too...I like that movie.

20. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.