JINDABYNE...a film from down under.

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Carl V, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

This is a good film...not a great film. I would like to say it's
    great...but it's not. Nonetheless, it's wotht a look-see from
    many of the HTL cognecentti.

It could just as easliy been about a southern USA town,
    S-African film.....hell it coulda been about any scoiety where
    there is a division of cultures & people. In this case it takes
    place in a "tidy" town in southern Australia where 'whites' &
    the abroriginal people don't mingle & their are years, generations
    & decades of resentment.

Gabriel Bryne is the protagonist....he & his buddies are about to
    begin their annual fishing trip. They discover a dead nude
    aboriganal woman. They KNOW what the 'right' thing to do is
    yet they decide to secrue her dead body with fishing line to the
    river bank & proceed with their fishing trip. His wife laura Linney
    is disgusted with his actions as are most fo the "white' townsfolks
    not to mention the Aboriginal townsfolks. ( Have you noticed how
    often Laura Linney participates in Provocative 'small films?)

But the filim takes on 2 directions his lame excuses for his actions
    towards the murdered woman & his failed marriage. Actually, its Laura Linneys culpablity
    ...she walked out on her marriage & deserted both
    her husband & her Son.
    SO, the film is is moslty about a troubled
    marriage & a troubled town.

The Director Ray Lawrence also directed a film Called Lantana, which
    also takes palcve in Australia and delves into a bit of a crime mystery
    on the edges but mostly centers on human drama. Both have strong
    undercurrents but lack a "climatic' ending....much like a novel might &
    unlike a good hollywood blockbuster.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Active Member

Carl, I finally got around to seeing Jindabyne, now available on DVD. I have seen the director's previous film Lantana, which I liked quite a bit. Both films appear to be two sides of the same coin. In Lantana, the emphasis is on the police investigation of what may or may not have been a homicide. In Jindabyne, there's no doubt of a homicide, but the film instead looks at the moral decisions of a group of men who had nothing to do with the killing. The actual police investigation is hardly dealt with. In both films, the protagonists' marital problems make up much of the story. I preferred Lantana, but Jindabyne is nonetheless a thought-provoking, though at times, frustrating movie.

3. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

This film was a let down for me. It meandered about and left me bedazzled at the end. I just did not really like it.:(

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Active Member

I do know where your're coming from Jack. I was particularly frustrated by Gabriel Byrne's character. He could have explained his actions to his wife that at least would have opened a dialogue, but instead he kept sayin "you just don't understand, you weren't there." It also seemed illogical that with four of them, at least one would have pushed the issue of notifying the police more than they did. This wasn't Deliverance, where they had something to hide or lie about.

5. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Maybe that is it Mike. I understand why the family of the girl found would be upset. The daughter was certainly not given proper treatment. But you are right Gabriel could have offered up an explanation, that while not good, would at least lead to a discussion of something, anything.
    I think in this case, someone had a good idea for a story but could not flesh it our properly. I could have seen this almost as a comedy more than it was and that may have worked.

6. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

If you want to see an excellent film set in Australia (but which otherwise may have nothing whatsoever in common with Jindabyne), try Little Fish.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Active Member

Larry, thanks for reminding me about Little Fish. I'm going to try to fit in into my busy movie schedule soon.

In case you missed my posting of Black Book http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389557/

I think you may like that one. It is a foreign film and racier than expected for its subject matter, but quite well done.