Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Ken McDaniel, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

I remember seeing the trailer for this on YouTube last summer and thinking, oh man, does this look stupid. Seriously, who thought remaking this movie with this premise and this cast was a good idea. Jack Black? Wow, they're digging deep. Then about a month ago I start seeing guerrilla reviews on Twitter and they were universally positive. Then the studio opened up the RT reviews three weeks before release and the numbers were hovering around 80% (I've learned over time that they only do that when they know it's good).

So when wife and I were sitting around surfing the internet she says, 'hey, so-and-so went and saw Jumanji. They said it didn't suck.' Well, the teens were out of the house and we had nothing to do. So we turned it into an impromptu date night with dinner and everything. And yeah, it didn't suck. More than that, it was good. It had a certain sweetness to it. I actually bought that the cast were playing displaced teenagers, and the action sequence are ridiculously OP in the good kind of way. I was very entertained.

Happy New Year!

2. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

I liked the original and plan on seeing this. If for nothing else that Karen Gillan in a skimpy costume. ;)

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Wow, glad I saw your post as my thinking was going in the exact same direction... why, wow, that sounds bad, etc. My kids want to see it so we'll probably go.

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

Good to hear...I'll watch nearly anything with Karen Gillan in it:)

5. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

OK Saw this over Xmas weekend and it definitely doesn't suck. It was actually pretty funny at times but better yet it was coherent which I did not expect. It was a solid story beginning to end with heart and laughs. I was going to pass it up but Noah wanted to see it and I thought you know what I almost did not go for Central Intelligence cause it looked stupid but that turned out much better then I expected so what the hell. The Rock and Kevin Hart are becoming the go to comedy duo I would not put them up there with Pryor and Wilder yet but damn Central Intelligence was funny and this is solid too, and these two work well together.

Oh Karen Gillian (Nebula from Guardians) is pretty easy on the eyes. ;)

6. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

My niece and her friend (13 y.o.) enjoyed Jumanji a lot. My wife and I were along and enjoyed it too.

7. Randy Rhoton

Max, you should look up Karen Gillan when she was a Dr. Who companion. :D They actually made her shave her head for the Nebula role. Jerks.

Andrew Pratt likes this.
  8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

Randy knows what he talks of.

9. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Saw this one Saturday with my wife when it went to the 21 and over theaters (assigned seats and heated recliners). Kevin Hart is one of those rare people that can really deliver standup comedy on the stage and a great performance on the screen. He was great. But, for me, Jack Black really stole the show in his role as Bethany. Watching him teach Karen Gillan how to flirt and then watching her do it had me laughing for a good 5 minutes.

Shockingly, one of the funnest times I've had at the movies in a while. Fun show.

10. Randy Rhoton

BTW, Karen Gillan has top notch acting skills. If you can find and stream it check out the Dr. Who episode "The Girl Who Waited". Amazing performance.