1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Kitchen TV Upgrade

Discussion in 'Picture Show' started by claud, Jan 17, 2015.

1. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

We have had our Panasonic 32" 720P LCD for a long time. Over the years it has developed a quirk. When you cut it on, it goes "click" and will not cut on. It started about 5 years ago happening once every 2 or 3 months. You have to unplug it for a day and its OK when you plug it in. The last 6 months its about once a week. Its probobly some cheap resistor, but time marches on. Bigger is better especially when the price is right. The Panny was around $1400 new. New Sony 600B 40" was $480 with tax. Sony is one inch wider than old panny. Got it installed just in time for basketball season. I almost bought another Panny about the same price, but viewing angle was much worse than Sony and as you can see, viewing angle is critical in this installation.

OLD PANNY
    DSC_1553_zpsde43d26b.jpg
    DSC_1552_zps518e1b15.jpg

NEW SONY
    DSC_1555_zps0d5a3ce5.jpg DSC_1556_zps05bd0dcb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
  2. claud

After a couple of weeks of use, I would highly recommend the 40" Sony 600B. Viewing angle issues do not detract much from picture quality since it is a slight fade as you increase the angle. Picture has great contrast and lots of pop. I think I will replace my other Panny 32 at my beach home that my son has in his room.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Glad you like it. Was probably easier to up there I would guess?

4. claud

That is the 3rd kitchen TV in that location. We built this house in 1994. First TV was a 20" JVC monitor and the rack hung from the ceiling. There wasn't a hutch or any cabinet under it. Power outlet and cable outlet behind TV near ceiling.

5. Joahin

Joahin New Member

Claud, I wonder whether it's convenient to watch TV located at the very ceiling? I have a few locations to choose from in my kitchen, but guess opposite my eyes will be the most viable choice.

6. claud

That is not main TV. Just kitchen TV for catching news at dinner and following sports when you get up from main TV to get beer or snacks. Rear of house is for entertaining with open kitchen and den. No "opposite my eyes" position available when wife designs kitchen. its either out of the way near ceiling , or none.