Knight Rider could work.

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by CJ, Jun 7, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Perhaps people who were in their teens during this show's original run debated this, but they did a tractor trailer episode of Mythbusters on discovery and proved that not only could you drive up into the back of a semi at highway speed, but they actually did it and it wasn't even tricky at all. They also rolled it off at speed, how Hasselhoff used to exit after the briefings/tune ups. I doubt they're the first to prove you could do this via either science or actual testing, but it was still fun.

2. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

I'm really surprised this hasn't been made into a movie yet...reeeally surprised.

3. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

I had a physics major roommate in college. Him and a couple of his classmates would have hours long discussions about this and try to use math to prove it one way or the other. We were always drinking during these discussions so they were fun. I was always a fan of the "lets just try it" approach, but was usually shot down. Since we were drinking that was probably a good call :)

4. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

I always felt that rolling OFF the truck would have been problematic because of the direction of wheel spin but hey, what the heck do I know? :)

5. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

The issue is that the wheels are free spinning. Rolling down the ramp of a moving truck is no more problematic than a plane landing.

6. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

CJ:

When the car is rolling down the ramp the wheels are spinning backwards. The instant the car makes contact with the pavement, this spinning motion would act as brake until friction overcomes the motion and reverses it. The faster the truck is moving, the more dramatic this would be. I never thought it wouldn't work, only that it would be very jerky, to say the least.

Larry

P.S. I always liked that show, though I will never admit it publically. Oops... ;)!

7. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Nope, its not jerky at all, it was smooth. They had the tires painted with stripes so you could see exactly what they were doing on the high speed camera.

8. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Interesting! Thanks.

9. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

But did their car have witty dialog with the driver?

I will unfortunately think of this every time I pass a car hauler on the highway, thanks CJ....

10. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Which reminds me of a brain teaser.....

There is a plane on a conveyor belt...... :twisted:

11. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

I beleive they tested this on Mythbusters as well and they proved there was no witty dialog between car and driver in the TV show ;)

12. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

That's because you just wanted to have a talking car. :)

My son & I watched that Mythbusters episode last night (it's his favorite show) and I had to try and explain what the Knightrider show was about. He wasn't impressed :wink:

13. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Oh sure, and next you'll be telling us there's no Easter Bunny.

Killjoy!! ;)

14. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Larry, easy or not, I'm betting that the torque wouldn't be all that great for the rear diff or transmission, even in neutral.

15. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

It's an interesting problem. The car's forward speed (relative to the gound) is the speed of the truck minus the car's speed relative to the ramp. So when it touches the ground it's speed is perhaps 40 mph forward, but the wheels are spinning backward at a rate equivalent to, say 10 mph.

16. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

The bushings and bearings around your rear diff and driveshaft are going to get a bit worn.

17. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

One would think.

18. cjd

cjd New Member

What?

You might, at most, lose a little rubber off the tires.... The only inertia to overcome is that of the drivetrain + tires. Far worse strain on the whole system if you dump the clutch for a quick jump off the line.

If you try rolling off the ramp with the thing in gear, that's your own fault. :p

C

19. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

But...it's "Kitt"...he would 'know' and warn of any damage... :p

A lot don't know that Williams Daniels was actually the 'voice' of Kitt, a.k.a. "Mr. Feeny" from Boy Meets World or farther back or Dr. Mark Craig (Emmy Award) on St. Elsewhere.

20. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Agreed.
    Agreed; it would be easier on the drive train if you coasted to a low speed before engaging the clutch.