1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Krell supports HD media and iPod; new amp and speaker system

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by DYohn, May 25, 2007.

1. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

5/25/07

Orange, Conn. ? Krell Industries is acknowledging the potential of the HD DVD and Blu-ray disc formats with a new preamp/surround processor and a planned upgrade for another preamp/processor.

The $25,000 Evolution 707, due in the fourth quarter with all-aluminum chassis, is the company?s first preamp/surround processor with internal decoding of all HD DVD and Blu-ray surround formats, including Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio and DTS HD High Resolution Audio. The 707 features HDMI 1.3 input to accept the surround formats in native form, and it incorporates two 1080p video up-scalers for two-zone use. The 707 is Krell?s highest priced preamp/surround processor, and the company?s first with 1080p video scaling, said assistant sales and marketing VP Jim Ludoviconi.

Also in the fourth quarter, the currently available $6,500 S-1000 pre/pro will get an upgrade to add HDMI 1.3 inputs and internal decoding of all HD DVD and Blu-ray surround formats at a cost of about $1,500. The 7.1-channel processor currently offers Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES decoding and 4x1 HDMI switching.

The 8.4-channel 707 features two center-channel outputs, four subwoofer outputs, and nine proprietary Krell Music Surround modes. It?s Krell?s first preamp/surround processor with CAST (Current Audio Signal Transfer) outputs. CAST is a proprietary way to send audio signals between components in the current domain to eliminate cable-induced distortion and lower the noise floor to its theoretical minimum, the company said.

The 707?s video circuitry bandwidth is greater than 350 MHz for HD sources, up-scales any SD or HD video source to 1920 by 1080p at 60Hz., features Faroudja DCDi Cinema (Directional Correlational Deinterlacing) to eliminate staircasing or jagged edge artifacts, and up-converts composite video to HDMI,

Other new products include an iPod dock, its second and most powerful fully balanced integrated stereo amp and a modular speaker system called Modulari Duo.

The KID (Krell iPod Dock), is targeted to retail for about $1,200, said Ludoviconi. Instead of using tubes to generate superior sound quality, the dock taps the differential output of the iPod?s DAC. The KID's line stage is balanced, and KID?s outputs are balanced, he explained.

The $16,500 integrated amp, the FBI (fully balanced integrated), delivers 2x300 watts into 8 ohms, 2x600 watts into 4 ohms and 2x1,200 watts into 2 ohms. The CAST-equipped device just shipped.

The Modulari Duo speakers at $35,000 per system consists of a two-way freestanding speaker, which can be purchased alone at $14,000-$15,000/pair, and a floorstanding three-driver woofer cabinet, which can be mated with the two-way speaker. The two-way enclosure houses the system?s high-current crossover network. By itself, the two-way pair runs flat to 45Hz, and the bass box?s 3dB-rollof point is 26Hz. System impedance is 3 ohms. They ship in August in limited quantities.

2. Shane

Shane Active Member

While expensive It's NICE to see Krell support HDMI 1.3 and future audio formats.

They might be the first to announce but I know Onkyo Integra has a preamp coming that will be a preamp version of the 905 with HDMI 1.3, Realta scaler and everything else you would need. I would hazard a guess it's $3k-$4k.

3. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Here's to Rotel or B&K pushing something in the $2-$3K range. I'm betting they're the first to go sub-$3K.

4. Shane

Shane Active Member

I'd shocked to see them do it. Rotel and B&K are always behind the times.

I would think NAD might be the first one out of the gate on the budget <$3k front.

5. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Don't count Outlaw out yet, they might be the first with HDMI 1.3 and all the surround formats for under 3K, who knows maybe under 2K.

Max

6. Shane

Shane Active Member

After the 950 fiasco, I don't trust a word from them. I also believe they are also quite gunshy now after that episode so we shall see. They traditionally announced stuff at the HE expo and I heard nothing about it.

I'll bet we won't see anything until 2008..

7. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Ditto what Shane said.

8. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

I just found it interesting that Krell (of all companies) felt the need to create an iPod dock.

9. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Wealthy people own iPods too.

:wink:

10. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Active Member

anyone who would spend a fuckoton of money on a krell system, ostensably to achieve better sound, then hooks an ipod to it :roll:

me " look dude, you obviously dont care for sound quality with your low bit rate source. lets trade gear. mine wont make your pipi seem so big, but at least somone will get proper use out of the krell gear."

11. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Anyone who thinks an iPod is a low quality source hasn't been to an audio show recently. I've seen iPods and PCs/Macs driving gear more expensive than the price of that Krell. McIntosh had Mac running into their electronics and $32k speakers.

12. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I am not surprised at all.

Ipod is BIG, they want sales, they make docs, they want to sell.

It's all about the money. It always has been and it always will be.

Show me the money...

:D

13. Shane

Shane Active Member

Yep. The main head honcho of stereophile is encoding his LP's to his Ipod and using that as his portable storage device to shows. He was recently talking about it on TV(Geared up on Mojo HD).

Treat it like an 80 gig portable audio server.

14. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

Why does iPod have to equal low bit rate? You can run lossless audio through an iPod.

15. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Active Member

I did in home service for several years, i could count on one hand the number of high end systems that the owners had any idea what they had, out of the many many systems i came across. (or were they all bluffing ignorance about their gear?)

they went to an expensive store, and said "sell me something", and IMO did this so they would have an expensive rig to show their guests, not for SQ, or any particuallar feature.

my bad attitude on the subject comes form these "wasted" systems.

while its techanically possibe to get good sound out of an ipod, my guess is the vast majority of the pods out there are filled with low bit rate crap, their owners oblivious to any difrence. its more fun to tell your friends how many songs are in it.

16. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

17. John Kotches

John Kotches New Member

Why? Meridian showed one at CES with scaling for video iPods :)

Woo hoo... Post #1 at the lounge now complete :D

18. John Kotches

John Kotches New Member

I can't speak for your iPod, but my iPod has Apple Lossless and FLAC on it. Both of these are full bit-rate options.

19. John Kotches

John Kotches New Member

Yes, but that's the case with any high-ticket item that's available in any market segment.

Painting with broad brush strokes (ie generalizing) isn't an effective technique.

Cheers,