1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Lake Disappears!

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Michael M, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

100-foot deep Andes lake disappears
    POSTED: 11:16 a.m. EDT, June 21, 2007

Link

2. Shane

Shane Active Member

They'll figure out a way to blame it on global warming. Saturn & Mars are experiencing hotter than usual temperatures(due to the Sun) and somehow I'm sure Martian SUV's are at fault :roll:

3. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

I saw that yesterday. I think it's the Mercurians.

4. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Damn kids! Pulled the cork again!!

5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Damn, beat me to it. But I was just going to say:

Global Warmingz!!1!!!

[​IMG]

6. Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright New Member

Hey, at least they can't blame us for the Mars warming, our rovers are "green"! LOL...

Isn't comparing earth with two different planets with totally different atmospheres (or lack thereof), apples to oranges?

7. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Its all relative. Isn't comparing Antarctica with Los Angeles Apples to Oranges? Yet scientists are doing it all the time. We share the same sun as those planets so solar activity heating them up is certainly relevant.

8. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

That's the thing...even global warming would be hard pressed to do this...if you read the article (which I did)...they are stumped, there was no seismic activity to open fissures into which the lake could drain, and to evaporate a 100 foot deep lake that fast you'd need to have 'pinpoint' and continuous heat...this is strange.

9. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Yup, what Jason said. It seems that something relatively sudden transpired.

10. CJ

They probably just left it in their other jeans :D

Dude, where's my lake!

11. CJ

Giant elephants drank it all!

12. Drew

UFO.gif

I want to believe!

13. matts

matts Active Member War Zone Member

So as I was home sick the other day History channel and show on the litte ice age that occured between the 13th and 18th century. Temps in Europe and North America were crazy from year to year, warm one year cool the next and finally everything just got colder and they say global temp dropped 2-3 degrees. Ice started to grow and killed off the viking settlements in North America... Also the climatic cooling helped the Black Plague spread because those animals that can reproduce rapidly (Rats) could most easily adapt and the theorized cause .... decrease in the solar output of the Sun during that time period. ... I have to check but haven't scientests been saying that there has been increased sun activity the last couple of decades?

14. matts

matts Active Member War Zone Member

I know I know. The aliens from Independance day are here starting to take our resources. Has anyone noticed a disturbance with our satelite signals?.......

15. Drew

That's what happened to the finale of Sopranos.

16. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Simple explanation. They can't read a map. The lake they're looking for is on the other side of the fold.

17. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

OK, let's say increased solar output is the primary or even sole cause of global warming. Why should the specific cause be a reason for not addressing the issue? There are general steps that can be taken to mitigate the problem, regardless of the cause. We can't reduce the Sun's output, but we can reduce CO2 and other greenhouse gas emissions. The less greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, the less solar heat that is absorbed. It's a step that helps address the problem, whether it's us or the sun raising the temps.

Even if you don't believe global warming is happening or that reducing emissions will help, there's the fact that most greenhouse gas emissions are pollutants and/or ozone depleters and we should try to eliminate them for that reason alone. As for anyone who doesn't think pollution or the lack of an ozone layer is bad for humans and just about everything else in the world, well... :roll:

18. Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright New Member

By the way, the reports about Mars are based on photographs from one single region. Not only that, but the changes have happened within three Mars years. Apples and Oranges...

By the way, nobody is actually saying that there is warming in Saturn. None of the articles that address atmospheric anomalities there have suggested warming.

19. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I read about it earlier and they did experience seismic activity around the lake. Let me see if I can find it.

20. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Source > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6225676.stm