1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

LCD projector advice needed.

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Brian S, May 21, 2007.

1. Brian S

Brian S New Member

Hello all. It's been a mighty long time. I've got the HT bug again and will likely be spending more time around the forum these days. :)

Anyway, I have been thinking about getting an LCD projector lately. I had a Infocus 4805 for a short time a couple years ago but the rainbows drove me up a wall. So no DLP for me thanks.

I have an opportunity to get brand new in the box (Never Opened) Sony HS20 for $750. With the Sony I will be working a deal for part cash and part labor. I do custom machine work on flashlights these days (yes.. flashlights :lol: )I'm not quite sure if I'd be better off saving some more coin and picking up a Sanyo Z5 or Panny x100u. Both of the latter projectors seem to have quite a bit of bad press regarding problems of one kind or another. Also neither of those would I be able to work the deal with labor/cash.

What would you guys do if you were in my shoes??

2. Brian S

Brian S New Member

Hmm. Nobody has any thoughts?

3. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Projector Central is a great place to do some reading up.

4. Brian S

Brian S New Member

Thanks Michael. I have read all the reviews I could find on all the machines I mentioned. I am more asking what you would do given the same circumstances.

I can probably get the Sony for no money out of pocket. Just my time spent in the shop. @ $50/hr. it shouldn't take long..

But, I could also save the cash a buy a newer generation as mentioned above. I just don't know if the money for the newer models warrants the expense.

5. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

You can get a great 720P pj at 1K or less. What is your price range?

6. Brian S

Brian S New Member

Well I don't really have one at this point. But I guess if since I'm wondering if I should get the Sony or say the Z5 then $1500 would have to be the max.

However I guess the question is, is the Z5 or any other Sub $1500 PJ $750 better than the HS20? I know there have been changes in the Iris technology for the "budget" LCD PJ's over the last couple years but I hear they can be a little annoying while viewing and a lot of people turn them off.

7. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus New Member

if you get it, lelt me come see it :)

oh and BTW, do you post over at candlepowerforums.com?

what are you doing with your lights, just case modding, or someting like lambda does?

8. Shane

Shane Active Member

The HS20 is pretty old if memory serves. The HS51 and 61 are the last 2 models. The 61 is last years model.

Given Sony's issues with bulbs(ask CJ), I'd really caution that purchase.

I'd sit on the current PJ until you can swing the $2500 or so for the Epson 1080P set. It's only 1k more than most of the decent 720P LCD anyway. And that's at current MSRP. If they start discounting them, then you are getting even closer down to the cost of a 720P LCD making it a no brainer.

9. Brian S

Brian S New Member

Yes I do. I am doing all sorts of mods. From machine work on my lathe to multiple LED mods. Browse around my photobucket album. http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e163/wsanz/Flashlights/ I'm even working with a CNC shop on my own designed parts.

BTW I sent you a PM through this site so check your inbox :).

10. Brian S

Brian S New Member

Maybe CJ will chime in here with his experience?

11. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Active Member War Zone Member

If LCD is the way to go, I have heard nothing but good stuff about the Mits and there were some reviews where they actually had the nerve to stack it up against the Sony Pearl and JVC Dla units.

Max

12. Brian S

Brian S New Member

Max,

Are you talking about the $4000 Mits? If so that's a little outta my budget :).

13. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Active Member War Zone Member

Well um yeah. :)