1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Library vs playlist

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by chad, May 18, 2017.

1. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

We've got a few trips coming up this summer so I've been building the ultimate playlist in iTunes to sync with my phone. I have about 1300 songs in there right now.

Issue - I'm noticing while listening to my main library some of the songs that are on the playlist are no longer in the library.

Easy enough to fix on a 1 by 1 basis but

A. Why?
    B. How do I do a complete fix without upsetting the playlist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

This should not be happening. A play list in iTunes is literally just a list with pointers to the files. The actual files and their library location should not be affected. Make sure you are viewing your library with no filters enabled.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Do you have an Apple Music subscription or is this all stuff that's in your library "physical files"?

4. chad

Yeah this is mostly all music I've ripped. A few downloads but not many. It all lives on an external copies in triplicate for redundancy.

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

Right click on one of the 'missing' files and you should have the ability to view its physical location.

6. chad

As an example, one of the songs I added to my playlist was Home by Daughtry.

It shows up fine in the playlist but was no longer in the main library.

So I got into storage, copied and pasted a new copy into the library.

I have no way of knowing how many other tracks are missing though.

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

jasn likes this.
  8. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Two good pieces of advice from Andrew. Are you using an external drive for your library Chad? I do but still have instances where iTunes resorts to adding new tracks to my internal hard drive. If that's the case for you, be sure you have the correct location in your preferences and do a consolidation.

9. chad

Yeah it's all on external. I've consolidated it before. Maybe time to do it again. Will it duplicate everything or should I format the drive first or what?