Lightroom

Discussion in 'The Photography Lounge' started by Chris Slade, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I just tried to buy Lightroom on the Adobe website. Turns out I needed to set up an account, I hate that but did it. Then put in my credit card info (on my new PIA connection). Then the order is shown as pending. If I order during business hours I would receive a download link email within three hours. If ordering outside business hours (which I did) I will receive a download email during the next business day.

WTF is this? I order online and still have to wait a couple of days to get my software. Which I just bought because of have some time right now to sit down and take a tour of the program.

I don't want it to seem like I am whining here, but this is total bullshit, total total bullshit. No wonder people just steal this software, you get better service.

Very disappointed with this process of shit.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  2. Chris Slade

Sent me the link today, Lightroom install complete

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

This is the kind of stuff that makes people grouse about Adobe, but its literally the industry standard so people put up with it. I'll be curious how you like it. Adobe is a bit like Apple. You do it their way and if you want to do it a different way, you're wrong. I think it creates a great workflow but there are some dumb limitations too IMO.

4. Chris Slade

The camera will arrive this week. I'll probably snap a few pictures just to play with in Lightroom and start fooling around.

What I really want to understand before I get involved with any real volume of pictures is the file organization side of things. I need to make sure I put my files somewhere that is easy to work with.

5. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Lightroom is a bit like iTunes in that respect. You manage the photos within LR, it handles the storage on the back end. Its all very logical and hierarchical (IMHO). Make sure you set your camera up for the correct file capture. I forget the default but I don't think it defaults to raw. Storage is cheap so I do RAW + SF JPEG.

6. Chris Slade

I have an external drive, I am thinking I'll make a partition on that just for image storage. Seems like the simplest thing I guess. Or maybe storage them on the iMac drive and back up to the external might be safer I guess.

7. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Lightroom has an internal catalog backup function but beware that doesn't backup your images, only the catalog. Think of it like a database that points to the image files. Again similar to iTunes. You have an iTunes library full of metadata and stuff but your movies and music are separate files.

8. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Not sure if this was my personal set up or something within Adobe's Software suite, but I had to authenticate my account numerous times while staying in two hotels within the last 3 weeks. My account was downgraded to a 7-day trial, but when I signed back in, all access to Adobe's software were given back. I never had this issue at home, only when I'm out of town.

9. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Wonder if its a security thing (different IP) that isn't apparent through the software.

10. Jay Brown

That was my thought as well.

11. Chris Slade

Can you guys recommend a youtube video on a basic decent Lightroom 6 workflow? I can't seem to find one I think is decent.

12. Jay Brown

Photos In Color

I've used this channel and picked it apart for specific tutorials.

For workflow purposes, here's a start.

13. Chris Slade

I watched one of his videos. I'll take a look at the channel and dig a little deeper.

14. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Curious why you didn't go the "CC" route and get both PS & Lightroom (that's what I do, can't be without PS).

CJ likes this.
  15. Chris Slade

Two reasons, I don't like subscriptions and I don't really like editing, so I just want to have to learn one piece of software for now. I would like to think that someday I'll get things mostly right in camera, and need little editing. One can dream right?

Jason Lorette likes this.
  16. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Almost certainly. I've had this issue several multiple tiomes on various sites whenever I'm connecting thru my VPN provider. Some sites won't allow me to login at all if the server I'm connecting thru is in the wrong location. Not surprisingly, many financial institutions, many (most?) are very strict about this. Very surprisingly, so is Craigslist.

17. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Mostly right "in camera" is a dream of us all. I learned on PS, LR didn't exist then and then I learned "Camera Raw" which has many of the basic features of LR.

I made the switch to CC because I'd originally had a cracked full version of CS 5, then when I bought my second Nikon DSLR they had changed their RAW files and my crack wouldn't read them any more. CS 6 a full version would have cost me almost $1K, at $9.99 a month...it would have taken me many, many years to equal a version of CS 6 in cost. There likely would have been CS 12 or 13 by the time I equaled it, so I bit the bullet and figured I'd try it. I like having the latest version of every update, the mobile transition, etc.

LR is a software I don't know well...it's almost like learning PS all over again...but I'm trying.

Plus...if you shoot RAW and not just .jpg (please, please do this)...you will have to run your pictures through a software anyway (essentially 'editing'). RAW captures literally "all" the data presented to the sensor and is unprocessed, they will look blah, and boring straight out camera.

Good luck with your shooting, I don't know a lot but I'll happily help with my bit of knowledge if you need it :). ~ J