Lionsgate talks success with Blu Ray

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Shane, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Shane

Shane Active Member

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=228

Sounds like they are very confident in their choice. 11% of the BR market is rather impressive for a small study. It helps to have popular titles.

2. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

They would likely get a similar piece of the HD DVD market.

For a smaller studio, that should be significant enough to enter the market.

3. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

Is there some meaning I'm missing here? The way I see it, if Universal stays exclusive, of course it will help Lion's Gate market share with Blu-ray?

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, not to be a fanboi, but what Michael said. When you enter an unestablished market as a small player, the playing field is relatively level. If they were smart they'd go dual format. People are starving for content, you have 2x the market share that you have with DVD because people are looking for good content in HD.

5. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

John,
    If you read carefully, they talked about their share of the Bl-Ray market, and then mentioned that felt Blu-Ray was a winning choice even if Universal did not come over. The guy wasn't saying he could still grow his market share of Blu-Ray even if universal started doing Blu-Ray he was saying Blu-ray looks like the winning side even if Universal continues to hold out.

In reality this whole thing seems like an exercise in corporate back patting and IMO a bit to early to be patting themselves on the back for picking the right side, even if I do think they are likely right.

Max

6. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

On a slightly funny side note, My wife is taking my two boys and one of their friends to Universal Studios to see all the exhibits from a Sony/Columbia Tri Star movie. :)

It is my understanding that currently Universal Studios in Orlando is completely overrun with Spiderman stuff.

So they or on opposite sides in the format war but they must have some sort of deal for that to happen.

Max

7. Shane

Shane Active Member

He means BR's market share(not Lionsgates) which means the 2-1 sales advantage on the software side will continue to grow. Essentially he is stating that Universal's exclusivity isn't going to affect the widening gap.

8. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

Sorry guys, I should have read a little more carefully. :oops:

9. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Make no doubt that despite the bluster of the press releases on the "format war", most of the companies on opposing sides partner on a bunch of other projects.

Most of the grand projections you see in press releases are for public consumption and do not always reflect a much more even (and dynamic) viewpoint from those making the decisions.