Long (100-200') HDMI Run Question

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Eric, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Eric

Eric Active Member

So even though we moved in to the new house 5 months ago, we still don't have TV/audio set up. The big thing keeping me from getting to it is the layout kind of sucks. I'm going to have to put all my equipment in the back of the room and just keep the TV in the front. Going to have to route HDMI and speaker cable from the back wall, all the way up to the second floor ceiling, along the ceiling joists and down the wall for the TV. I haven't even measured it yet, but it's definitely going to be over 100'.

I've been on the monoprice website looking at my options. I really don't want to do HDBaseT or other systems that don't carry the native HDMI signal. I'd also prefer to stick with something that supports 4K. Lastly, I want something that adds very minimal latency, in case I add a gaming system.

Monoprice has some uni-directional "Slimrun" fiber based cables that are affordable. But if I want to support bi-directional signals (audio return, etc) I think I have to step up to something more expensive (their Blackbird Extender).

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

2. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Try Blue Jeans Cable. They have two HDMI cables. One for regular runs and the other for long runs. I would give them a call first before investing in 100' of HDMI cable.

3. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Will the room allow you to just put up a soffit or some moulding and run it through that instead?

4. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

5. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

wireless HDMI for Video
    (I asked a similar Question)
    Bluetooth for Speakers is Possible.

6. Eric

Eric Active Member

Weird vaulted ceilings. No soffit capabilities. I'm thinking wireless transcodes/compresses the HDMI signal. Not sure if something similar happens with all the fiber based options.

7. Carl V

Best Wireless HDMI Video Transmitter

Rick has used something Similar.
    I can't seem to find my thread.

I will be crossing this bridge in the near future.
    I don't know about compression artifacts

8. DYohn

One of our conference rooms at work uses that IOGEAR transmitter. It works really well for projecting the HDMI output from a laptop.

9. DustinDavis

Have to wonder if that is a good baseline to compare. Probably presentations and not HD video usually being output?

10. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I feel like this is yet another area where HDMI falls flat. Its a digital signal, there is no reason it shouldn't be able to transmitted 1000 feet with ease. Why not get an HDMI over fiber cable? you're looking at a pretty specific need here. If you need to spend $400 on a cable, you're going to need to do it.

11. DYohn

Just passing along an observation that I've seen that unit in the wild. I've used it with static excel sheets getting perfectly readable results using a 1080p projector and blowing the image up to 20 feet wide. I haven't tried HD video but it seems it should work.

12. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

My experience with runs in that range has been mixed. Some cables seem to work...but I had a support call from a client the other day to say that his bedroom TV stopped getting signal from his Roku but the cable box still works. That HDMI run is one of the longest in the house as its the upper floor all the way to the basement in a large house. In other areas the cable sometimes worked with some gear but not others depending on how picky it was so luckily I had insisted that he run Cat5 to each location so we've switched to running HDMI over Cat5 instead and now the remote IR signals run over the HDMI.

TLDR > it should work but plan on it not so combine any HDMI run with at least 1 Cat5 cable.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  13. Carl V

Andrew have you worked with Wireless Products such as the one (s)
    I linked above.

14. Rick C

Rick C Active Member

I am using this one as Carl mentioned.

DVDO Air3C - DVDO

It has worked very well for me. No 4k

15. DustinDavis

I wonder what the results of that test would be. Somehow I doubt it is simply a passthrough that would maintain original quality. Just thinking out loud.

16. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

No i haven't gone the wireless route yet for HDMI.

17. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I ran dual hdmi and dual cat 5 to my projector to try to future proof. We’ll see.

18. Eric

Eric Active Member

I’ll probably end up with a fiber run. Monoprice has some affordable integrated fiber cables, but for some reason they’re unidirectional. I’d prefer bidirectional for future proofing.