1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Make your computer faster...?

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Jason Lorette, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Anyone know of any reliable programs, that are free to download...that can assist in optimizing the performance of a home PC?

Jason

PS> Note: I already have Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, and Spywareblaster...they clean that portion out pretty good...

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Are you just trying to maximize resources or do you want to over-clock?

3. Chris White

Chris White New Member

In terms of non-hardware tweaks, I've gotten noticeable improvements from eliminating unneeded services and programs. A google search should provide useful information on the purpose of the many services windows loads.

4. Jason Lorette

Dan, if I had any idea what you just said...I'd be able to respond.

I have 728 mb RAM P4 40 GB hard drive...and I'm just trying to make my computer a little more responsive...fast...

Jason

5. Greg W

Greg W New Member

Heh...in this day and age, you can pretty well annihilate the performance of that machine for well under $500.

6. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Yeah..other than adding more memory, I'd bet you're better off buying a new machine since they are getting so cheap these days...they come with more RAM, way bigger hard drives etc...

7. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Some other things that can help; clear out your cache, delete your temp files, defrag your hard drive. If you don't know how, a google search will help walk you through whatever version of Windows you have.

8. Jason Lorette

Not in the cards right now...saving for my wedding next year...I've been informed that there are 'no large purchases' allowed until then (at least that goes both ways)

Jason

PS> I've found a few things online...I was just wondering if anyone had any specific things...Dan what does overclock mean? I've heard the term...not sure what it means.

9. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

A processor runs at a combination of its clock speed and multiplier. Choose a different multiplier and it will run at a different speed. Choose a higher one and it will run faster, but it will also run hotter and could fail. I've not done it in the modern era but I used to have an AMD chip that was a 380mhz. I forget how they got to that speed but the point is, I could choose the next multiplier and make it run at 460mhz (just throwing these numbers out) or something like that. That's overclocking. As far as your current PC, I'd try the PCpitstop website before I purchase any optimization software.

10. Erik

Erik Member War Zone Member

CTRL ALT DEL. Under the processes tab, see how many processes are currently running. I would say that if you have more than 30 running at idle, you need to identify which ones are not necessary. Many programs have small applications that run in the background. Quickbooks for example, will run two or three processes even though you do not have the actual Quickbooks program open. To stop them, you will have to go to msconfig and stop them from opening at startup by unchecking them. That should help to free up some resoruces.

Overclocking:
    The clock speed of a processor is the multiplier*fsb(intel) or htt(amd). An example of a current Intel processor at stock speeds would be 8*266=2128mhz. Most processors nowadays are multiplier locked upwards, which means a processor with a default multiplier of 8 will only be able to use 6, 7, or 8 as the multiplier. With the locked upwards multiplier, you only have the option of raising the fsb to overclock the processor. Raising the fsb of the processor above to a fsb of 300 would now be 8*300=2400mhz.

If you have a premade computer such as a Dell, HP, or other tier 1 manufacturer, they will have no options for overclocking.

11. Alfer

Alfer New Member

You could also download TweakUI" and "Bootvis" and do some cleaning up and Bootvis is supposed to help speed up start up..I use both on occassion...along with the PC Pitstop that CJ mentioned.

12. Jason Lorette

I will check all of the advice mentioned...thanks gents!

13. cjd

cjd New Member

My smart-ass response (though it *would* likely result in better response, there are many reasons for that)

Disable all those spyware, virus, etc. things. They take a LOT of speed out of a system. Browse smart, and run them regularly anyhow. But don't keep them running all the time.

People have already mentioned removing temp files, defragmenting the hard-drive. If your drive is close to full, that's going to be a big performance problem too.

C

14. Jason Lorette

I have 8GB of 40GB unused.

Jason

15. cjd

cjd New Member

That's barely enough to do a proper defrag... IIRC 20% is the requirement.

For pure data drives this is less an issue, but when it's your OS drive for Windows, it makes a big difference because of the way the file system works. Start with an analysis of the services you have running all the time (like antivirus, spyware removal tools) and with hard-drive cleanup (temp files, old patch "undo" files, and a full drive defragment or two).

Also, if this is a recent "suddenly slower" it is possible you have a compromised system despite the antivirus and anti-spyware tools.

C

16. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Why not buy a faster larger hard drive...transfer all the data from the old one to the new one and I'd bet that would help.

HD's are so much faster and cheaper these days.

Oh and add more memory if possible.

17. cjd

cjd New Member

More memory should not be a requirement. My wife's computer has 368MB on an 1100mHz processor and it's only a little bit slow. But it doesn't run antivirus normally. Hell, antivirus on my current machine with 2GB RAM and a dual core processor slows it down quite noticeably.

Newer faster hard drive will not actually be any faster on this system. Transferring all the data over including OS is not as simply done as said without the right tools.

Both solutions may cost more than they're worth.

18. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

Before adding more memory, check if you actually need to. You should be able to tell thru Task Manager.

19. Drew

Drew Active Member War Zone Member

Eh. Unless you are running an assload of apps at once, or some very system intensive ones, you won't *need* it. Remember that windows LOVES to page stuff even if there is room in memory.

20. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

I would like to make sure I understand this, so please feel free to treat me like I'm ignorant...

Let's say he has 768MB physical memory installed. Right after logging in, looking at Task Manager, he sees PF Usage 200MB and during use, it never goes over 400MB. Are page faults occuring? Would increasing memory to 2GB help (not at all, a little, some, a lot)?

Thanks,
    John