Motorcycles

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by chad, Jun 1, 2007.

1. chad

chad Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Hey guys, just curious if there are any riders here. Over the course of the past year I have decided I wanted to take the safety class and find a bike. I have 5 or 6 page thread at HTF but wanted to see if you had any input.

I have gone back and forth on what kind of bike I want but I keep going back to a Vulcan 1500. I am 6'3 and I am not slender by any stretch so I need a bike with some oomph, especially if another adult wants a ride. I found a 2005 with around 16,000 for under 6k but that was at a dealer. I am pretty sure I can do better if I buy private.

Here is an image of the Vulcan I am looking at. The one I looked at was all black. I would want to add a sissy bar with back rest and saddle bags

21478_0_1_2_vulcan%201500%20classic_Image%20credits%20-%20Kawasaki.jpg

2. Eric

Eric Active Member

Well, as luck would have it, I'm a rider. Just spent Memorial day weekend driving up to Alabama to pick up my bike (had to leave it up there when I moved). I've got a 2002 Honda Shadow Sabre. I bought it brand new. Put almost 10,000 miles on it the first year, but then started travelling. Currently I'm just shy of 13,000 miles.

I'll be doing some work to it this weekend. Went for a ride earlier this week and ended up dropping it. I was taking a left turn, and apparently leaned just a bit too far and my kickstand bracket dug in to the asphalt at the top of the crown in the road. Ended up pivoting the bike out from under me (actually lifted the back tire off the ground). No major damage to my bike or myself (aside from a slightly wounded ego). I was with a bunch of friends and they were all shocked. We decided the old road just had too much of a crown to it, and my bike's got a weird kickstand design that brings the bracket way too low to the ground during left hand turns. You live and you learn, I guess...

[​IMG]

3. chad

Nice looking bike Eric. I like the Shadows as well as the Suzuki Blvd. How long have you been riding?

4. Eric

Eric Active Member

I've only been riding the 5 years I've owned the bike. I almost sold it a couple of years ago at the height of my business travel, but now I'm glad I didn't. With the new job I don't travel nearly as much and I have a couple of friends down here who ride. So I'll be able to start riding more again.

5. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

My current ride is a white '06 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe.

[​IMG]

I just bought this one in October. Prior to that I had a Yamaha VStar and prior to that I had an old Harley FLCH. I ride almost every day to work and I'm heading out after the 4th of July on a trip over to the west coast and back. I bought my current bike because of the power (100hp - same 4 cyl that's in the Yamaha VMax) and the warranty (5 years unlimited miles). Plus, I don't see many of them on the road. Ride safe!

6. chad

Jeff, that is a pretty sweet looking ride. Are those wind "fenders" for your legs or just a molded highway bar?

7. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

connie.jpg

Still in the garage - :D

But doesn't get ridden much - :(

Another thing I'm gonna have to work on...

8. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

Cool bikes guys.

This will be my new work vehicle starting this month. It's scheduled to ship from the factory on June 6th. -EJ

[​IMG]

9. JeffC

That actually is wrapping around the airboxes and the radiator is in front. It's liquid cooled. Although it looks like a V-Twin, those are covers and it 's a wider V4 under there. In the Yamaha line, I really like the RSTD and the Stratoliner for two up riding. The V4 operates at a higher RPM, so you have to keep it up in the band. My buddy has a Screaming Eagle Road King and I can leave him in any gear - with my trailer :shock:

Mike B - That is awesome! I am going back and forth between a dual sport (BMW 1200GS adventure) or a sport tourer for my second bike. That big 8.7 gallon tank on the BMW is really pulling it my way and my wife loves it! She also like the KTM 950, so it should be interesting.

Eric- You're going to love that 6 speed. My buddy has a 'King and it rides beautifully.

10. chad

I was out doing some helmet shopping this weekend. I could not find a guy that wanted to really help so I ended up leaving but I tried a few on before I did. How is a helmet supposed to fit? Some seemed way too tight and were really uncomfortable but the next size up was loose and that does not seem like it would stay on when you really need it to.

11. Eric

Eric Active Member

Helmets are a very difficult buy. Finding one that fits right is the first step. I have a really big and oddly shaped head, so I have a really hard time finding one that fits properly. You really want one that is snug, but not tight, and fits evenly--you don't want one point where the helmet presses harder on your head. Over time that gets to be very uncomfortable. One of the biggest problems I've had with helmets doesn't pop up until after you buy it. Wind noise can be a huge problem. Some helmets are designed with this in mind, but they're very spendy. Others are designed just to protect your noggin...they're cheaper but much louder while riding. Then there's the full face versus half or three quarters. Full face gives you the best protection, but can get uncomfortably warm in the summer and they can fog up in cooler weather.

I have no real advice for you. Just find one that's snug without being uncomfortable. Figure out what level of protection you're expecting (DOT vs Snell). Balance it all with how much you're willing to spend.

I've personally found that a half helmet fits me the best, but I'm giving up a lot of protection for comfort and convenience.

12. Stephane

Stephane New Member

I own a Vulcan 1600 classic, and love every moments I spend riding

13. chad

I saw a really nice full face helmet but the bottom was removable so its just the helmet or sheild, or you can pop the bottom up if you have to go in the buy gas or something like that. Probably not something for right away but once I get going I will want to be able to listen to music while I ride. Is the best solution for this just ear phones and an ipod or the like?

14. TimB

TimB New Member

Have a great helmet story (true). Friend and his wife are out helmet shopping for her. This is a long time ago, when full-face Bells were $80. Salesman is showing her those, when she cranes her neck and says 'what about those $20 helmets over there - why not one of those?' Without missing a beat, the salesman retorts 'You got a $20 head, buy a $20 helmet.'

Wouldn't blink at a few hundred more for the helmet to allow you to keep riding that multi-thousand dollar bike.

Been after my wife for years to get bikes, and had given up when out of the blue a couple weeks ago SHE suggested it. After I'm sure this isn't a trap of some kind, may be back on here asking for advice. Was only a very casual rider many many moons ago, and haven't paid any attention to the market.

15. chad

Actually Tim, it was the other way around for me. I have never even thought about riding a bike. Her family always did and most still do. We tend to miss out on a lot of family events for the adults because it is usually bike oriented and how silly would we look driving our Caravan behind them? So she nagged me and nagged me and then I found out about the abate class and decided to check it out a little more. I have visited as many bike shops as I can, read online, picked peoples brains and feel that I have a good head start. It is going to be winter before I can buy a bike which should work out to my advantage, nobody really rides in the winter in Indiana... nobody wants to pay to store them...

16. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

If you are a newbie, then please start out with something light. Try to keep it around 400 lbs. Then in a year or so, you will be ready for something with a little more range.

Used is great for this too. You get the experiance you need, in a size that is easier to learn, and you can upgrade later for almost no cost.

Have fun!

And don't even think about music or earpods if you've never been on a bike - :D

17. JeffC

Your helmet should be snug, and maybe even a tiny bit tight. It will loosen up over time. I have a HJC Symax and a Nolan n102. The Symax is noisy, but it's a very nice helmet. The nolan has less room between the chin bar and my chin, but it's pretty quiet. Since I bought the nolan, my wife wears the Symax. :lol: :lol: Both of them have the flip up face and I wouldn't buy any other style.

If you are new or just getting back into riding google a DVD called "Ride Like A Pro". It's a great learning tool for anybody that wants to ride. Good luck!

18. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I have been eying this one
    24312_0_1_4_boulevard%20m109r%20limited%20edition_Image%20credits%20-%20Suzuki.jpg

19. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I am going to be test driving this oner in about a week.

[​IMG]

20. chad

Jerry A backwards trike, interesting. The Suzuki is pretty sweet as well.

Mike, why start out with something light weight?I am a pretty big guyand a. I don't want somethin I will quickly outgrow and b. I want something that will be able to support me and have enough oomph as needed.
    And no worries, I am not going to hop on a bike and start jamming but it is still something I wonder about. I saw that Honda has an I Pod system with speakers that mount to your handlebars and what not but it seems to me that if you have your helmet on your probably not going to hear the speakers unless your at a stop light.