Movies Anywhere

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by RJ, Oct 13, 2017.

1. RJ

RJ Member

The old Disney Movies Anywhere has been dissolved and morphed into a new entity Movies Anywhere.

Now all your eligible iTunes, Google, Amazon, Vudu titles sync across all platforms no matter where you bought the title. Big studios such as Marvel, Disney, Sony, 20th Century Fox, etc are apart of this deal.

This is Ultraviolet on steroids! I've migrated my DMA account over to Movies Anywhere, and I linked all my accounts (iTunes, Google, Amazon, Vudu) and they are now synced and apart of Movies Anywhere. My iTunes titles are now available in Vudu and Amazon, etc where they never were allowed before. More studios are rumored to be in talks to be joining as well.

All I have to say is that this is an incredible move in the right direction for online movie stores! I'm super stoked about it. No more are the days of worrying so much about where you bought a title and having to buy it again.

Signing up and migrating everything was super simple, and I even got 5 free movies for linking my online accounts to it.

I would recommend taking a look at this if you have extensive iTunes, Vudu, Google, Amazon purchases and want to watch them on any platform

2. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Hm, that is pretty cool. But, does it work for movies not by those studios?

3. DustinDavis

Hm, I read up. Answer is "no".

4. DustinDavis

Now, wouldn't it be cool if we had something like iTunes Match for movies? So all of my DVD movies could be matched to cloud versions without me re-buying, and upgraded to HD or 4K, and available everywhere.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  5. RJ

RJ Member

You can use Vudu's disc to digital to get your physical BluRays converted to a digital license. I think it cost like a buck or two per disc though. Then, if the movie you are converting is in the Movies Anywhere realm, you can watch it on any platform.

The big deal here is that this is the first time that iTunes, Google, and Amazon have agreed to work together with their digital movie stores and ecosystems. They are essentially saying, buy the movie on their platform, and watch it on mine and vice versa. I think this is a huge breakthrough from the traditional locked down ecosystems that we have been subject to all along.

Since you have some big movie studios, and all the major players in the digital marketplace playing along, I don't think it will be too long before you see other studios jumping on board.

6. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member War Zone Member

Luckily I only have a few Paramount and Lionsgate movies that haven't transferred. I used Disc 2 Digital to convert a lot of movies and I love having them in itunes. The other studios should get on board. A win for everyone.

7. RJ

RJ Member

I think it's only a matter of time before they join up. Paramount and Lionsgate are already rumored to be in talks with Movies Anywhere. That would really only leave the smaller studios left.

8. DustinDavis

9. RJ

RJ Member

Yup, Vudu Disc to Digital has been around for some time. I've used it in the past and it works well. I does cost a buck or two though.

I believe you can also take your disc to Walmart and they will scan them to convert them to digital for you if you can't do it at home for whatever reason

10. DustinDavis

I used to be opposed to tying myself to a particular service. I'm increasingly thinking "whatevs". Just too much work to convert them myself, and then I get only DVD quality, and I have to maintain all the files and whatnot, costing more money either on capacity, software, or hardware.

11. DustinDavis

OK I just converted "Heat" to HDX for $5. Apparently the "get the first one free" promo ran out. And I signed up for Movies Anywhere and linked my Vudu account to it, but haven't done anything with it yet.

12. RJ

RJ Member

I just got an email from Movies Anywhere, and it states they also do a disc to digital thing. I didn't look into it so I don't know if or what it cost but that should also be another option.

I'm also opposed to being tied to a service / ecosystem, which is why I'm pretty excited about Movies Anywhere. The user interface of the Movies Anywhere channel on ROKU is much nicer than VUDU in my opinion as well.

13. Steve Wright

I found another "perk" this morning. If you have an SD code that will redeem on Moviesanywhere, it will redeem on all services as HD. I just picked up the Dirty Harry Collection code online for $12. This was the SD code. Entered into Movies Anywhere and there it was in HD on Vudu and iTunes.

14. DustinDavis

What is the SD code? Like the unique # that would come in the DVD package? Most of what I own was bought before it was common to include those.

15. DustinDavis

Though on Vudu you can take a DVD, scan barcode, pay $5, and bam you have access to HD version via Vudu, and hence via MA if you have integrated the two.

16. Wait before you do this en masse. Vudu often runs specials where you can convert DVDs to HDX for $2.50/each if you do 10 or more at a time. Half price for doing a bunch at once.

DustinDavis likes this.
  17. Steve Wright

Yes I've done that and converted every Blu-ray I own that does not have a digital code into Vudu. All but the Paramount and Lionsgate titles have carried over. If you don't own the movie and just want to buy a code, some SD movies will convert in HD directly into Movies Anywhere. If you convert an SD title into Vudu it will not work.

18. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

There's finally a fix for the Android TV interface where the movies actually play. What I find strange is when I linked my Itunes account, my Digital Copies of movies that I used the code to download appeared in my Movies Anywhere account, as well as my Google Play Movies account. So movies that I know I did not purchased from Itunes and only used the code for their digital copies are now populating my Google Play account.

Movies Anywhere won't play these movies with a Dolby Digital Plus audio option, only stereo, (matrixed surround). The same movies however have Dolby Digital Plus enabled when streamed through Google Play Movies.